Chocolate Pudding Pie
Chocolate pudding pie is an easy no bake dessert to make for any occasion! This chocolate pie with pudding is thick and fluffy, and can be made with a graham cracker or oreo crust. Plus, it’s only 8 ingredients and takes 20 minutes to prep.
Chocolate pudding pie overview:
- 8 ingredients
- 20 minutes to prep
- no bake dessert
- thick and fluffy
- can be made with graham cracker or oreo pie crust
Pudding pie is an old fashion recipe that has been around for a while! There’s many different ways to make it, including from scratch, but I think the best way to make it is to use a box of instant pudding mix because it’s easy!
Many recipes use milk, however, I found that using heavy cream created a pie that was thicker, stable, and more mousse like!
If you have a stand mixer, this is a great time to use it because when you beat the pudding mix and heavy cream together, the mixture will be very thick. Once you add in the cool whip, the mixture will become more creamy and fluffy.
- instant chocolate pudding mix
- heavy cream
- cool whip
- graham cracker crumbs
- brown sugar
How to Make Chocolate Pie with Pudding
Layer #1 – graham cracker crust
- In a blender or food processor, pulse the graham crackers into crumbs, combine with brown sugar and melted butter and press the mixture into the pie pan using the bottom of a measuring cup
Layer #2 – the chocolate filling
- Beat the pudding mix and heavy cream together. The mixture will be extremely thick. If you have a stand mixer, this is a great time to use it! Image 1 on the collage above.
- Gently beat in the cool whip. Once you add in the cool whip, the mixture will become more creamy and fluffy. Image 2 on the collage above.
- Spread the filling over the crust
Layer #3 – topping, whipped cream
How to Store No Bake Pie
This pie needs to be refrigerated. It can also be frozen for a frozen dessert pie! Be sure to cover the pie with plastic wrap to keep it fresh.
4 minutes to make the crust
5 minutes to make the chocolate filling
5 minutes to make whipped cream topping
4-8 hours to chill in the fridge
Gluten Free Chocolate Pie
It is really easy to make this chocolate pie with pudding gluten free by using gluten free oreos for the crust. All of the other ingredients in the recipe are naturally gluten free!
Swap the Graham Cracker Crust for Oreo Crust
If you prefer an oreo crust, here’s our recipe!
- 1 package oreos (14.3 oz)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted melted butter
Blend the oreos until they are crumbs, combine with the butter and press into the pie pan.
- The chocolate filling is VERY thick when mixing it. If you have a stand mixer, this is a great time to use it!
- Use a sharp, skinny knife to cut the pie into pieces.
- Be sure to use two 3.4 oz (or 3.9) boxes, not the large 5.1 or 5.9 boxes.
Our Favorite Recipes
Chocolate Pudding Pie
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs, about 9 graham crackers
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted melted butter, 3/4 stick
- 2 boxes instant chocolate pudding mix, 3.4 oz (or 3.9) boxes, not the large 5.1 or 5.9 boxes
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 container cool whip, 8 oz thawed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar and melted butter. Press this mixture evenly into a 9 or 10 inch pie pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to pack the crust down. Place the crust in the fridge to chill until ready to fill.
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, combine the pudding mix and heavy cream with an electric mixer until well blended. You will NOT prepare the pudding mix as directed on the box. If you have a stand mixer, this is a great time to use it because when you beat the pudding mix and heavy cream together, the mixture will be very thick.
- Add the cool whip and mix on low until combined. Spread this mixture over the crust. Once you add in the cool whip, the mixture will become more creamy and fluffy. Cover the pie pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-8 hours.
- Before serving the pie – place a metal or glass mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the freezer. Add the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat with an electric mixer for 4-5 minutes, or until stiff peaks form / it’s scoop-able with a spoon and holds its shape.
- Spoon onto the pie and top with chocolate shavings.