Orange Fluff Salad
This retro-style salad has been a family favorite in my family for generations, literally. Sometimes newcomers are hesitant to try the “orange stuff,” but once they do, they always come back for seconds!
This orange fluff salad is made with juicy mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple, fluffy mini marshmallows, orange jello mix, vanilla pudding mix, and cool whip. The result is a delicious jello salad that is the perfect side dish for family gatherings.
The best way I can describe this delicious side dish is that it tastes like a citrus-packed orange creamsicle fluff.
With such a simple recipe and irresistible taste, it’s no wonder that this recipe has stood the test of time and continues to make its way to family gatherings year after year. It’s super quick and easy to make, so in no time, you’ll have a bright and cheerful dish that can serve a lot of people.
Why You’ll Love This Orange Fluff Salad
- Refreshing and flavorful
- Minimal Ingredients
- Just 20 minutes to make
- Perfectly orange flavor
- No cottage cheese in this recipe
What You’ll Need for Orange Fluff
Grab the detailed list of ingredients for this orange fluff jello salad recipe, plus the step-by-step instructions in the recipe card below.
- Orange jello mix
- Boiling water
- Cold water
- Dry instant vanilla pudding mix
- Cool whip
- Mini marshmallows
- Canned Mandarin oranges: Drained very well
- Canned crushed pineapple: Drained very well
How to Make This Orange Fluff Recipe
This orange fluff recipe is an easy recipe that anyone can make! Follow the simple directions below, and you’ll have a crowd favorite to take to your next get-together! Keep scrolling for the full recipe in the recipe card below.
Make orange jello. In a large bowl combine the orange jello mix and boiling water, whisk until dissolved. Pour in the cold water, whisk to combine. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Add vanilla pudding. Remove the bowl from the fridge and whisk in the instant vanilla pudding, scraping down the sides to incorporate everything. Return the bowl to the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Add cool whip. Remove the bowl from the fridge and fold in the cool whip.
Add remaining ingredients. Add in the mini marshmallows, well drained mandarin oranges, and well drained crushed pineapple. Fold gently to combine.
Chill. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. This allows the mixture to thicken and for the marshmallows to soften.
Tips for the Best Orange Fluff Salad
- Making this recipe for a large crowd? Just double the recipe if you plan on taking this fluffy salad recipe to a special occasion like a holiday cookout or other get-together.
- Leave time to chill. Don’t skip the refrigeration for two hours after you put this great recipe together. It makes all the difference in the consistency and flavor.
- For best results, make sure to fold in the ingredients gently. You can easily deflate the fluff out of this orange dessert recipe if you mix it too vigorously.
Substitutions & Variations
- Sugar-Free: You can use sugar-free jello, pudding, and cool whip to reduce the sugar content of this marshmallow fruit salad.
- Add-Ins: Add your favorites to customize this fruity dessert salad: Nuts, maraschino cherries, and other toppings you love would make a great addition to this salad.
- Make it strawberry fluff: If you’re not a fan of sweet mandarin oranges and pineapple, make this recipe with a different jello flavor. You can use your favorite flavor of jello and the corresponding canned fruit or fresh fruit when canned is not available.
Storing and Freezing Suggestions
Store this Orange Fluff Salad recipe in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. This recipe can be frozen and will keep for up to three months. Just be aware that the consistency after you thaw this orange jello fluff may be different than when it’s made fresh. The flavor should be just the same!
More Fruit Dessert Recipes
Orange Fluff Salad Recipe
- 1 3 oz box orange jello mix
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 3.4 oz box instant vanilla pudding
- 8 oz cool whip
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 15 oz cans mandarin oranges, drained very well
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained very well
- In a large mixing bowl combine the orange jello mix and boiling water, whisk until dissolved. Pour in the cold water, whisk to combine. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the fridge and whisk in the instant vanilla pudding, scraping down the sides to incorporate everything. Return the bowl to the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the fridge and fold in the cool whip.
- Add in the mini marshmallows, well drained mandarin oranges, and well drained crushed pineapple. Fold gently to combine.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. This allows the mixture to thicken and for the marshmallows to soften.