Easy to make classic turtle pie! This no bake turtle pie has a 4 ingredient filling that is creamy and rich. Add pecans, caramel and chocolate sauce and you have a quick homemade turtle pie!
Growing up my family would always buy our thanksgiving pies from this restaurant called Baker’s Square. We’d usually get a few options – like french silk, reese’s peanut butter cup, and the classic pumpkin.
Which one would I go for? The reese’s one! And if that wasn’t an option then french silk. But if all the french silk was gone, I’d opt for ice cream! I’m really sorry to say that pumpkin pie isn’t high on my pie list.
I’ll pick anything that has chocolate over pumpkin pie probably for the rest of my life.
I don’t remember Baker’s Square having a turtle pie. If they did, that one would have been up there right next to the reese’s cup pie. It would have been hard to choose between the two.
My mom taught me right and my love for chocolate and nuts runs deep. So it was about time for a turtle pie recipe!
There is a bajillion ways you could make a turtle pie. Custard pies are sometimes made with eggs or with gelatin to help give the custard structure. But I am totally weirded out by putting cooked eggs in a no bake pie. I don’t know, I can’t explain it.. anyone else have a weird feeling about that?!
So this is our version of edwards turtle pie. And it’s ridiculously easy. I made a homemade graham cracker crust (it’s 3 ingredients) but you could definitely use a store bought crust.
- graham crackers crumbs
- granulated sugar
- cream cheese, softened
- powdered sugar
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- cool whip
How to make an easy Edwards turtle pie
The filling is 4 ingredients!
For a chocolate pie, you obviously need chocolate in the filling. Be sure the melted chocolate is fully cool before adding to the filling.
The filling is spot on in flavor and texture, and totally channels french silk vibes. Add pecans, caramel sauce and chocolate sauce and you have an easy to make turtle pie!
How to Store No Bake Turtle Pie Dessert
This pie needs to be refrigerated. Be sure to cover the pie with plastic wrap to keep it fresh.
It can also be frozen for a frozen dessert pie! Cover with plastic wrap then with aluminum foil and store in the freezer.
Total Time Required
- 5 minutes to make the crust
- 5 minutes to make the filling
- 4-8 hours to chill in the fridge
Garnish the pie with whip cream swirls (canned or homemade) then top with pecans, caramel sauce and chocolate sauce.
Swap the Graham Cracker Crust for Oreo Crust
If you prefer an oreo crust, here’s our recipe!
- 1 package oreos (14.3 oz)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted melted butter
Blend the oreos until they are crumbs, combine with the butter and press into the pie pan.
- 1 ½ cups graham crackers crumbs, about 9 graham crackers
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted, 1/2 cup
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 container cool whip, 8 oz, thawed
- Whipped cream, can use canned or homemade. For homemade use 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate sauce
- If using whole graham crackers, pulse them in a blender or food processor until they are very fine. You can also find graham cracker crumbs in the baking aisle. Measure out 1 & 1/2 cups of crumbs. In a small bowl, combine the crumbs with the sugar and melted butter, mix well until incorporated.
- Press the crust into an un-greased pie pan. Use your fingers and the bottom of a flat cup to evenly distribute the mixture on the bottom and the sides of the pan. Make sure the pie mixture is really compacted.
- Place the pie pan in the freeze while making the filling. If you’re preparing the crust days or hours in advance, cover the pie pan with foil or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips on 50% power, stirring occasionally until fully melted. Allow the chocolate to cool to room temperature before adding it to the filling. *Cooling is critical*
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and powdered sugar, beat with an electric mixer for 1 minute or until smooth. Add in the cooled melted chocolate, beat again to combine. Use a spatula to stir in the cool whip, mix well.
- Spread the filling on top of the crust. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-8 hours, overnight works too!
- Pipe whipped cream swirls around the edge of the pie. Add a pecan on top of each swirl. Add chopped pecans to the center of the pie (add a lot if you really like nuts!). Drizzle caramel and chocolate sauce over the entire pie. Serve right away, or refrigerate until serving.