Pistachio salad will make you the star of family gatherings. I’ve perfected this pistachio salad recipe into just 3 easy steps you can do in 10 minutes, and you only need 5 simple ingredients.
I love a fluffy dessert salad. There’s a reason this old-fashioned recipe is still gracing the tables of so many gatherings – it’s just so good!
It’s been a staple of family reunions and holiday dinners for generations in my family. If you follow my three easy steps below, you will have an impressive fluffy pistachio salad in no time.
If you’ve ever stressed about what to bring to a holiday meal, those days are over. Throw together this pistachio salad in a serving bowl and you can thank me later after your entire family is begging for more.
Not only is this an extremely easy recipe, but this creamy fruit salad is seriously addictive. Everyone will be going back for seconds and thirds of the “green stuff” on the table.
Why You’ll Love This Pistachio Salad Recipe
- Made with just 5 simple ingredients.
- Classic recipe, perfected into just 3 easy steps.
- Takes just 10 minutes to make.
- Perfect no-bake dessert for holiday tables.
What You Need to Make Pistachio Salad
I’m excited to share one of my favorite family recipes that makes a great addition to any meal as a dessert or even a great side dish. Keep scrolling to get the full recipe in the recipe card below.
- Instant Pistachio pudding mix
- Crushed pineapple: Do not drain.
- Cool whip
- Mini marshmallows
- Chopped nuts: Pecans, walnuts, or pistachios.
How to Make Pistachio Salad
This pistachio fluff recipe is always a huge hit as a sweet side dish or a delicious dessert. If you’ve never tried this classic dessert salad, you’re missing out! Get the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card below.
Combine pudding and pineapple. In a large mixing bowl, combine the pistachio pudding powder and crushed pineapple. Reminder: Do not drain the pineapple.
Add remaining ingredients. Fold in the cool whip, mini marshmallows, and chopped nuts.
Chill. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. This allows the mixture to thicken and for the marshmallows to soften.
Other Names for Pistachio Salad
Pistachio salad has many different names – Pistachio Delight, Pistachio Fluff Salad, Pistachio Pudding Salad, Pistachio Pineapple Delight and even Green Fluff. Pistachio salad is also known as Watergate Salad, which originally got its name from a Chicago food editor who renamed it. Originally named Pistachio Pineapple Delight, the editor thought renaming it in her 1975 column would create more buzz around the recipe due to the presidential scandal surrounding the Watergate Hotel.
Tips for the Best Pistachio Fluff Salad
- Do not drain the pineapple. This is an important part of the recipe, so I want to be sure you do not drain that can of pineapple! You want that sweet pineapple juice in your salad!
- Serve cold. Pistachio salad is best served cold. Be sure to chill it for at least 2 hours before serving. You can even make this ahead the day before and let it chill overnight.
Storing & Freezing Pistachio Salad
Store pistachio fluff fruit salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. This recipe can be frozen and will keep for up to three months. Just be aware that the consistency after you thaw it may be different than when it’s made fresh. The flavor should be just the same!
Substitutions & Variations
- Reduce sugar content: You can use sugar-free instant pudding mix and whipped topping to reduce the sugar content.
- Add-Ins: Add your favorites to customize this fruity dessert salad. Maraschino cherries make a great addition to top off this easy dessert.
More No Bake Recipes
Pistachio Salad Recipe
- 3.4 oz pistachio instant pudding mix
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple, do not drain
- 8 oz cool whip
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chopped nuts, pecans, walnuts or pistachios
- In a large mixing bowl combine the pistachio pudding powder and crushed pineapple, reminder, do not drain the pineapple.
- Fold in the cool whip, mini marshmallows, and chopped nuts.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. This allows the mixture to thicken and for the marshmallows to soften.