Chocolate Whipped Cream
Easy chocolate whipped cream only requires 3 ingredients.
This 5 minute stable chocolate whipped frosting is great on cakes, cupcakes, pies, hot cocoa and as fruit dip! Learn how to make chocolate whipped frosting with our tips.
Can I make a confession? I like cool whip.
I know.. I’m a dessert blogger. I should probably like homemade whipped cream more than cool whip. But cool whip is easy.
However, everything changed when I tried homemade CHOCOLATE whipped cream.
Why You’ll Love It
- 3 ingredients
- ready in 5 minutes or less
- the perfect frosting or topping for any dessert
- will be your new favorite whipped cream flavor
Of course everything is better with chocolate. So now I am addicted to chocolate whipped cream. I eat it with a spoon and it’s SUPER good with chocolate pudding.
You can use it to top a pie, in hot cocoa, use it to ice cupcakes or a cake, or use it as the filling in cookies sandwiches. Chocolate whipped cream is a staple recipe that every home baker should know how to make.
But, don’t worry.. the first time I went to make regular whipped cream I had to google a recipe. So we’re all on the same page – clueless and hungry :) Haha.
I wanted to make this chocolate whipped cream recipe SUPER easy. Don’t be afraid – you can make this!
What You’ll Need
- heavy whipping cream (36% milk fat)
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- powdered sugar (also called confectioners sugar)
How To Make
A one step recipe!
- Add the heavy whipping cream, unsweetened cocoa powder and powdered sugar to a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until stiff peak form, 3-5 minutes.
Freeze Your Bowl Before Making Whipped Cream
Chill a metal mixing bowl and beaters in freezer for 15 minutes.
You’re wondering if this step is necessary. I have made whipped cream by sort of chilling the bowl ahead of time.. meaning last minute I stick it in the freezer or I pull it out of the freezer too early and by the time I actually whip the cream, the bowl isn’t chilled anymore.
Here’s what I’ve observed – chilling the bowl and beaters ahead of time produces whipped cream that has stiffer peaks, that’s a fancy way of saying it’s more stable.
How to Make Stabilized Whipped Cream without Gelatin
Tips for Making Chocolate Whipped Cream with Cocoa Powder
- Put all 3 ingredients in the chilled bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 4-5 minutes, or until stiff peaks form / it’s scoopable with a spoon and holds its shape.
- Chilling the bowl and beaters ahead of time produces whipped cream that has stiffer peaks (that’s a fancy way of saying it’s more stable). And because you start with a chilled bowl, you don’t need to use gelatin.
Add a dollop of chocolate whipped cream to a mug of hot cocoa!
How long does it take to make whipped cream?
I prefer to use a stand mixer or hand mixer. Using this preparation method, it will take about 4-6 minutes for the heavy cream to produce stiff peaks.
How long does whipped cream last?
Homemade whipped cream lasts up to 1 day. It will keep its shape for about 2-3 hours depending on the weather. In warm weather, it will lose its shape faster.
Can you over whip whipped cream?
Yes. If you whip the whipped cream past the stiff peak stage, the whipped cream will deflate and start to look curd-like in texture.
Whipped Cream Recipes
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Place a metal mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the freezer. Add the heavy cream, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar, and beat with an electric mixer for 4-5 minutes, or until stiff peaks form / it’s scoop-able with a spoon and holds its shape.
- Use on cakes, cupcakes, pies, hot cocoa, etc. Place leftovers in a container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.