Maraschino Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Thick & chewy maraschino cherry chocolate chip cookies! No chilling of the dough needed! These cherry chocolate cookies are a pinterest favorite.
I believe I have mentioned this before, whenever it’s one of my nieces or nephews birthdays, they get to pick what kind of cookie I make and mail to them. Pretty lucky, huh?!
Well one of my nieces doesn’t like chocolate… I know, I don’t understand – I live off chocolate. So I was giving her a few options of cookies I could make and one of the options was maraschino cherry cookies.
I got to work and made five test batches! Some of the batches were pretty funny looking – working with an add in like maraschino cherries can be hard because they have so much moisture. But I finally got the recipe just right!
The ones I mailed her didn’t have chocolate chips so you can definitely make these cherry cookies without the chips, but for us chocolate lovers, more chocolate the better!
I’d bet these maraschino cookies would also be really good with white chocolate chips!
The combination of maraschino cherries and chocolate chips reminds me of this delicious cherry cordial ice cream that the ice cream shop near our house has. I love the taste of cherry ice cream, especially if there’s chocolate!
Baking Time Suggestions
For the cherry chocolate cookies in the photos, the dough balls were about 3 heaping tablespoons, so that’s a large cookie! I baked those for 14-16 minutes – just until the edge of the cookie would begin to turn golden. The result is a soft and chewy cherry chocolate chip cookie!
If you make smaller dough balls, you should reduce the baking time otherwise the cookies will be over done.
Total Time Required
- 10 minutes to make the cookie dough
- 14-16 minutes to bake the cookies
- 15 minutes to cool the cookies
How to Make Gluten Free Cherry Chocolate Cookies
I have made these cookies multiple times with King Arthur’s Gluten Free Measure for Measure Flour with great success.
Notes & Tips
- Properly measure the all purpose flour using the spoon and sweep method.
- You need 3/4 cup chopped & drained maraschino cherries. Plus an extra 2 tablespoons or so for garnish. 3/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries is about half a 16 oz jar.
- Be sure to drain the cherries well. Once you drained off the juice, put the cherries on a few napkins and let the extra juice soak up.
- Once the cherries have been drained, finely chop them.
- If you want the tops of your cookies to look loaded with cherries & chocolate chips like the ones you see in the photos, be sure to add additional cherries and chocolate chips to the outside of the dough balls before baking the cookies.
- The recipe yields about 20 cookies.
More Dessert Recipes
Maraschino Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ stick unsalted butter, softened 1/4 cup
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp almond extract
- Small amount of pink gel food coloring
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup drained & finely chopped maraschino cherries plus extra for garnish
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips plus extra for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a mixing bowl beat the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer for 1 minute, or until combined. Add in the egg and extracts, beat again.
- Add in a small amount of pink gel food coloring and mix.
- In separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mixing by hand with a spatula.
- Add in the finely chopped maraschino cherries and chocolate chips, mix by hand until combined. The batter will be thick.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop dough balls onto a silicone lined baking sheet. Press additional cherries and chocolate chips into the outside of the dough balls.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes – be sure not to over bake or the cookies will loose their pink color and turn brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool to the touch on the baking sheet (about 15 minutes) then move them to a cooling rack.