Healthy Chocolate Fudge Cake
VIDEO RECIPE! Learn how to make this healthy chocolate fudge cake!
Holy smokes friends! I feel like a whole new woman because I am bringing you the healthiest chocolate cake recipe!
We already have an amazing recipe for healthier chocolate cake on our site – but my friend Ashley is allergic to bananas and that recipe uses bananas as a healthy substitute for butter and sugar. So I really wanted to create a healthy chocolate cake recipe that didn’t call for bananas so she could enjoy it!
I am really impressed with how it turned out. Granted, it took 5 batches of trial and error to get the finalized recipe, but it was worth it.
The cake has 8 ingredients:
all purpose flour – but you can also sub whole wheat flour or gluten free flour
baking soda – to give the cake fluffiness
unsweetened cocoa powder – chocolate cake wouldn’t be chocolate cake without it!
honey – healthier substitute to granulated sugar
milk – for moisture
greek yogurt – healthy fat and makes make so moist
egg – structure and leavening
vanilla extract – hello, good in everything!
The frosting / topping on the cake is a little bit more of a cheat because it’s not entirely sugar free – but if you compare it to a regular buttercream frosting you’d put on a chocolate cake, this alternative is a lot healthier.
The frosting/topping is 2 ingredients:
cool whip – so creamy and light and about 165 calories for 1 cup
melted chocolate – adds nice rich chocolate flavor
If you’re wanting a different alternative to that topping you could make a coconut cream chocolate frosting (whip the coconut cream and add melted chocolate) or I have seen avocado chocolate frosting before.
In total the whole cake with the topping is only estimated to be 1,580 calories! Because the recipe is baked in a 8×8 inch pan, I cut the cake into 9 pieces – 1 piece is estimated to be 175 calories!
For someone who likes nightly dessert (Hi, that’s me!) this is great news!
Plus, Ryan is kind of a stickler for “real” dessert and when he tried this cake, he said he’d go back for seconds. So it’s husband approved. I also brought it to bible study and every single piece disappeared.
This is the healthy chocolate cake of your dreams!
Healthy Chocolate Fudge Cake
Yield: 9 pieces
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 cup all purpose flour / whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup fat free cool whip
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the milk, egg, honey, vanilla extract and greek yogurt, whisk together until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and sifted unsweetened cocoa powder. Once mixed, add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and stir until just combined. Small clumps and flour streaks are okay!
- Spray a 8 inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool.
- Place the 1/4 cup chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on 50% power until melted. To help the chocolate melt without burning you can add a very small amount of oil. Allow the chocolate to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the melted chocolate and cool whip, stir until combined. Spread on top of the cooled cake. The cake can be covered and refrigerated until ready to serve.