Healthier Dark Chocolate Coconut Oil Cookies
Healthier Dark Chocolate Coconut Oil Cookies – These are estimated to be 150 calories. I love that the recipe calls for ordinary ingredients, and no refined sugar, butter or oil!
A few weeks ago while I was testing batches of the healthier fudgy brownies I shared last week, I inadvertently discovered an awesome healthier coconut oil cookie recipe!
I took my original healthier brownie recipe and started tweaking it – adding more flour, scaling back the coconut oil and formed the dough into cookies and it was magic!
And cookies aren’t cookies without chocolate chips, so I was able to cut back on the amount of honey I used to sweeten the batter and add in some chocolate chips!
Easy to make Healthy Dark Chocolate Cookies
The whole goal was to create a healthier chocolate cookie with ordinary ingredients. I touched on this in the healthier fudge brownie post too, but I don’t want to have to buy special ingredients for a single recipe. So I used what I had in my pantry and got creative about healthier alternatives!
Healthy chocolate cookies ingredients
- Coconut oil: a healthy fat
- Dark chocolate: used to give the brownies that deep rich, chocolate flavor (you can even use a darker chocolate or one without added sugar)
- All purpose flour: a very accessible flour that everyone has
- Cocoa powder: adds deep cocoa flavor
- Salt: a pinch of salt helps with flavor
- Eggs: used as a leavener and binder
- Honey: used as a sweetener
I wanted these skinny chocolate cookies to be accessible to everyone with normal ingredients!
How to make healthy chocolate cookies
- Melt the coconut oil and dark chocolate together
- Meanwhile, mix together the flour, cocoa powder and salt
- In a second bowl, combine the eggs, honey and coconut oil/chocolate mixture
- Add in the flour and chocolate chips, and stir to combine
- Use a cookie scoop to drop balls onto a baking sheet
My favorite way to eat these Healthier Dark Chocolate Coconut Oil Cookies is to heat them up in the microwave for 8 seconds so the chocolate chips get a little melty!
The cookies are estimated to be 150 calories each if you split the batter into 12 cookies. These are definitely a healthier alternative when compared to our triple chocolate drop cookies.
Chocolate cookie baking time tips
As for the baking time, I’ll give you some guidelines..
- 16-18 minutes in the oven will give you perfectly baked cookies – not gooey, but fully baked
- 14-16 minutes in the oven will give you more of a fudgy texture
The cookies are best the day they are baked, but you can always pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up if you keep them around for a few days!
How to freeze healthier chocolate cookies
Allow the cookies to cool completely. Wrap 3-4 cookies together in plastic wrap then in aluminum foil. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight.
More healthier desserts
Healthier chocolate cookies video
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 oz dark chocolate (if using dark chocolate chips that's 6 tbsp)
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour **can use GF flour!
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the coconut oil and dark chocolate. If using a dark chocolate bar, break into smaller pieces. Stir occasionally until completely melted.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Stir together.
- In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, honey and melted coconut oil chocolate mixture. Stir with a spatula until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and the 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips to the chocolate mixture and stir by hand just until combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop the batter onto the lined baking sheet. I divided the batter into 12 balls.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes for a perfectly baked cookie, bake for 14-16 minutes for a fudgier cookie.
- Allow them to cool for 5 minutes, then remove them from the baking sheet. Store in an air tight container.
This recipe turned out great using gluten free flour too! We love King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure Flour.