No Bake Cheesecake
Learn how to make fool proof Philadelphia no bake cheesecake without condensed milk or gelatin that is fluffy and rich! This can be served with any topping – fresh fruit, cherry pie filling, or chocolate ganache!
Philadelphia no bake cheesecake is a type of cheesecake that does not require baking. It is typically made with Philadelphia cream cheese, a brand of cream cheese that is known for its smooth texture and rich flavor.
The cheesecake filling is usually made by blending Philadelphia cream cheese with sugar, vanilla extract, and whipped cream until it becomes light and creamy. The mixture is then poured into a prepared graham cracker crust and chilled in the refrigerator for several hours until it sets.
This type of cheesecake is often preferred because it is quick and easy to make, and does not require the use of an oven. It also has a light and creamy texture that is not as dense as traditional baked cheesecake.
Philadelphia no-bake cheesecake can be served plain or with various toppings, such as fresh fruit, chocolate sauce, or whipped cream. It is a delicious dessert that is perfect for any occasion, from a casual family dinner to a fancy dinner party.
Make this Philadelphia no bake cheesecake with cool whip or homemade whipped cream. Plus we’ll tell you how to cut clean cheesecake slices!
Similar to our homemade brownie recipe, it took me over a week to perfect this Philadelphia no bake cheesecake.
Recipe testing is no joke!
I was running into an issue with the mixture where it wasn’t setting because the cream wasn’t whipping enough, so I altered my technique and now the result is the fluffiest no bake cheesecake!
I’m here to show you that you can make fluffy, thick, no bake cheesecake that you can cut into slices and will hold their shape!
I learned that it’s all about HOW you incorporate the ingredients.
What You Need to Make Philadelphia No Bake Cheesecake
- graham cracker crumbs – about 9 graham crackers. You can also buy graham cracker crumbs at the grocery store near the premade pie crusts.
- light brown sugar
- unsalted butter
- full fat cream cheese
- heavy whipping cream
- powdered sugar – also called confectioners’ sugar
- fresh lemon juice – the cheesecake doesn’t taste lemon-y at all!
- vanilla extract
How to make Philadelphia no bake cheesecake
Learn from my mistakes. I tested this recipe 3 times (and it failed) because I couldn’t get the cheesecake to become firm enough. WHY? I wasn’t incorporating the ingredients in the best method.
For easy no bake cheesecake without gelatin, I learned that you need to whip the cream cheese & powdered sugar separately from the heavy whipping cream.
Step 1 – Beat the cream cheese
Beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar for 1-2 minutes, until creamy
Step 2 – Make whipped cream
Beat the heavy whipping cream, remaining powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract in a separate bowl that has been CHILLED in the freezer. Beat until stiff peaks form, meaning the whipped cream is thick and holds its shape.
Step 3 – Combine
Then add the creamy cream cheese to the whipped cream and mix them together on low speed for 1-2 minutes or just until you can’t tell which is the cream cheese and which is the whipped cream.
The result should be a thick, fluffy, mixture that holds its shape very well.
Step 4 – The chilling period
No bake cheesecake filling needs to be chilled in the fridge for at least 6 hours, but I prefer overnight. The chilling period helps the cheesecake to set and thicken, which is very crucial for cutting clean cheesecake slices.
Topping Ideas for No Bake Cheesecake
- Any type of pie filling: cherry, blueberry, apple, peach, etc.
- Any type of fresh fruit.
- Chocolate sauce
- Caramel sauce
- Strawberry sauce
- Hot fudge
- Butterscotch sauce
Cookies or Candy
- Chopped oreos
- Reese’s peanut butter cups
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts
You can store no bake cheesecake covered in the fridge for up to 5 days. Putting the cheesecake inside a cake keeper works great or you can cover the top with aluminum foil.
Yes, you can substitute cool whip in place of homemade whipped cream. Although I love the taste that the homemade whipped creams gives to the recipe and it really helps to thicken the cheesecake, you can use two 8 oz containers of cool whip.
Yes! Any store bought graham cracker crust will work!
I love my 9 speed kitchen aid hand mixer!
Can I freeze no bake cheesecake?
Let’s tease this question apart. I do not recommend freezing the cheesecake in order to speed up the chilling process that happens in the fridge. Freezing the cheesecake will change the texture.
However, you can freeze the entire cheesecake to use at a later point in time. Make sure the cheesecake is wrapped well in plastic wrap and placed in a ziploc bag or wrap the plastic wrap with aluminum foil. To thaw the cheesecake, remove it from the freezer and remove all the wrapping. Place the cheesecake inside a cake keeper and keep it in the fridge overnight to thaw.
How to cut clean cheesecake slices
In order to cut perfectly crisp slices, be sure to clean your knife after every single cut. It can be annoying, but you will have the most perfect slices!
Top this cheesecake with our homemade strawberry sauce.
More recipes that use cream cheese
- Oreo Earthquake Cake
- Mini Cheesecakes with Reese’s Cup Bottom
- No Bake Oreo Pie
- Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Pie
Philadelphia No Bake Cheesecake
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs, about 9 graham crackers
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted, 3/4 stick
No Bake Cheesecake Filling
- 2 packages full fat cream cheese, 8 oz each, room temperature
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, equal to 1 pint
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar, divided into 1 cup and 1/2 cup
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Before you begin
- Place a metal mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 15 minutes. This is used for the filling.
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
- In a mixing bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and melted butter. Stir together until a thick mixture forms.
- Press the crust into an un-greased 8 or 9 inch springform pan. You can also use a pie pan. Use your fingers and the bottom of a flat cup (I like to use my 1/2 measuring cup) to evenly distribute the crust on the bottom and the sides of the pan. Make sure the crust mixture is really compacted.
- Place the crust in the freeze for 15 minutes before adding the filling. If you’re preparing the crust days or hours in advance, cover with foil or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
No bake cheesecake filling
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and 1 cup powdered sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove the metal mixing bowl from the freezer. Add the heavy whipping cream, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, fresh lemon juice and vanilla extract and beat with an electric mixer until the whipping cream has stiff peaks, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese to the whipped cream and mix them together on low speed for 1-2 minutes or just until you can’t tell which is the cream cheese and which is the whipped cream. Alternatively, you can fold them together with a spatula.
- Scoop the filling into the crust and smooth with a offset spatula. Cover in a cake keeper or with foil and place in the fridge to set for at least 6 hours – overnight if preferred.
- Before serving, remove the outer ring of the springform pan. Use a sharp knife to cut the cheesecake into slices. In order to cut perfectly crisp slices, be sure to clean your knife after every single cut. It can be annoying, but you will have the most perfect slices!
- Serve with your favorite fruit topping, homemade strawberry sauce, chocolate ganache, or chocolate whipped cream.
What other crackers do you recommend for the crust? We don’t have graham crackers here in Belgium.
Hi Nathalie! Do you have a plain not too sweet biscuit like cracker there?
Wow thank you so much for such wonderful recipes you provided <3 Would you mind if I take it and print? I will use it to make this no bake cheesecake for my family, and show it to my neighborhood as well as my close friend?
Definitely feel free to share the print version of the recipe! Here’s a link to the print version: https://thefirstyearblog.com/wp-json/mv-create/v1/creations/71/print
My no bake cheese filling is not as thick as I would like. I have read a lot comments about not beating the filling too much.. if I have then, what do I do with the batter?
Hi Sue! The filling will firm up when you chill it in the fridge!
Hi , this cheesecake recipe is the best . I have used it several times . I’m trying to do a chocolate cheesecake recipe. Do u have any chocolate cheesecake recipes that I can use ?
Hi Bernie! Yes!
Hello, good recipe I will try it. By powdered sugar do you mean the one we call Glass sugar in Mexico? It is that, white powdered sugar, or can you grind the standard one in a blender?
Powdered sugar is also called confectioner’s sugar in the US.