Want our top 10 essential dessert recipes?
Get our favorite classic recipes in your inbox! It’s 100% free, but we might make you hungry!
Pina Colada Sangria
This recipe and these mini pineapple upside down cakes are sisters. And they both started when I went into Target.
I stopped at the dollar spot. Dangerous, right? Very. I found the cutest pineapple paper straws and had to buy them because I really do like the pineapple craze that’s going on right now.
So my brain went into pineapple mode, brainstorming pineapple recipes I could share with you so I could somehow include the cute straws in the photos. Kind of sad that this whole thing was revolving around straws.
I really should have bought 2 packs of these straws.. I went back to Target a week later and couldn’t find any left. So I’m salvaging them because you never know when you’re going to need a cute pineapple straw.
I wanted to make a pineapple based drink and that’s how this pina colada sangria was born!
It combines the best of summer flavors with the ease of sangria. Plus you can add garnishes that really make this drink tropical and fun!
How to make pina colada sangria
-Save yourself some time and buy 2 large cans of chopped pineapple – that way you get pineapple juice and pineapple!
-If you’d like a coconut rim on your glasses, dip your glasses in a small amount of corn syrup and then dip into shredded coconut.
-Target no longer sells these pineapple straws, but Amazon does!
Subscribe to The First Year newsletter to get our recipes sent to your inbox! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Youtube. If you make this recipe, tag @beth_thefirstyear on instagram!
- 1 & 1/2 cups pineapple juice (from about 2 cans of chopped pineapple, drain to get just the juice)
- 1 & 1/2 bottles of white wine, 750ml each, I used moscato
- 1 cup coconut rum, I used Malibu
- 1 & 1/2 cups chopped pineapple (I used canned)
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries with a little bit of juice
- In a large pitcher, combine the pineapple juice, white wine, coconut rum, chopped pineapple, and maraschino cherries. Stir to combine. If serving right away, add ice. Otherwise, refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.