Mixed Berry Galette
Mixed berry galette is a rustic free form pie that can be made with fresh or frozen berries. This fruit galette is made with an all butter puff pastry crust that is easier to make than a traditional fruit pie!
I am a die hard chocolate girl, so it has to take A LOT for me to want to eat fruit pie. And I want to eat this rustic pie every day. The pie crust is flaky, puffy and just the right amount of sweet because you sprinkle it with sugar before baking. And the berry filling is sweet, not too tangy – the whole thing melts in your mouth.
You could make the filling to be mixed berry like I show here (strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries) or you can make it to be all one berry. I think once we go blueberry picking, I am going to make a BIG blueberry galette!
What is a Galette?
A galette is a rustic looking French, free form pie that can be either sweet or savory. This pie is baked on a baking sheet and the pie dough makes its own “pan”.
For a sweet galette, pile fruit mixed with sugar in the center of the pie, then fold the dough up onto the fruit. It bakes up within 25 minutes and its heavenly.
How to Make a Rustic Berry Galette
Combine flour, powder sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Add the egg yolk and milk, mix with spatula until combined. Gather the dough into a ball and cover or wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Toss the fruit with sugar. Roll out the dough into a 10-12 inch circle. Place the fruit in the middle of the dough and fold the edges of the dough toward the center of the pie. Brush the edges with egg wash and bake for 20 minutes.
How Long Does It Take to Make a Fruit Galette
- 10 minutes to make the dough
- 30 minutes to refrigerate the dough
- 1 minute to toss the fruit with sugar
- 5 minutes to roll out the dough and fold the edges over the fruit
- 20 minutes to bake
How to Make a Galette with Frozen Fruit
You can substitute 2 cups frozen fruit for the fresh fruit. Easy!
Tips for Making Mixed Berry Galette
- Use cold butter
- Bake this fruit galette on parchment paper or on a silicone baking mat. Nothing sticks to either of those!
- Be sure to refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes. However, you can refrigerate longer – I’ve done up to 24 hours
- Double this recipe if you want 2 pies that will feed a larger crowd
How to Freeze Galette Dough
You can keep the prepared dough wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 4 days. For longer storage, you can freeze the dough. To do so, press the dough into a 2 inch round disc, wrap well in plastic wrap and place inside a ziplock bag in the freezer.
To thaw: place the dough in the fridge overnight.
More Pie Desserts
Mixed Berry Galette
- 1 cup all purpose flour, we’ve also used King Arthur’s Gluten Free Flour with awesome success!
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp cold milk
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, blueberries and blackberries, washed and dried
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sanding sugar for sprinkling on top
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using your fingers or pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the egg yolk and milk, mix with spatula until the dough is just combined.
- Gather the dough into a ball and cover or wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. In a medium bowl, toss the fruit with the sugar and flour.
- Roll out the dough onto a piece of parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, create a 10-12 inch circle. You may need some flour to keep it from sticking.
- Place the fruit in the middle of the pie, leaving a 1 & 1/2 inch to 2 inch margin all around the edge. Fold the edges of the dough in toward the center, pleating as necessary.
- Brush the edges of the pie with the egg wash and sprinkle with 1 tbsp sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling.
- Cut and serve.