Pineapple Angel Food Cake
Pineapple angel food cake is easy to make with only two ingredients! Take your angel food cake to the next level by cutting it in half and layering whipped cream and pineapple pieces inside!
I believe the original concept of combining a box of angel food cake mix and crushed pineapple is a weight watcher’s recipe hack. The crushed pineapple acts as a replacement for water and it adds a lot of flavor, moisture and little pieces of pineapple get baked into the cake!
I took this angel food cake recipe to the next level by cutting it in half and layering the cake with whipped cream and pineapple pieces!
- angel food cake mix
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple
- pineapple tidbits or chunks
- heavy whipping cream
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
How To Make Pineapple Angel Food Cake
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the angel food cake mix and crushed pineapple together.
- Pour the batter into an un-greased 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top of the cake is golden in color.
- Immediately invert the pan and allow the cake to cool completely.
- Make the whipped cream topping.
- Assemble the cake. Use a serrated bread knife to cut the cake in half. Layer with whipped cream and pieces of pineapple.
Angel Food Cake Tips
Tip #1 – Use The Correct Pan
First, use an angel food cake pan, this is called a fluted tube pan. Unfortunately, using a bundt pan will not result in good angel food cake.
Tip #2 – No Cooking Spray
Second, do not spray the angel food cake pan with cooking spray. The batter needs to be able to travel up the sides of the pan to get that traditional angel food cake height.
Tip #3 – Invert
Third, once the cake is done baking immediately invert the pan. I like to stick the center of my angel food cake pan on a mug or can of beans to cool inverted.
Allow the cake to cool for 2-3 hours. Then use a small spatula or knife and go around the sides of the pan and the center piece to help release the cake from the pan.
How To Tell When Angel Food Cake Is Done
I like to use a popsicle stick or wooden kabob skewer and insert that into the cake. If it comes out with no crumbs, it’s done.
How Long Do You Leave Angel Food Cake Upside Down
Leave the angel food cake upside down until it’s completely cool, about 2-3 hours.
Making Angel Food Cake In Advance
You can bake and store an angel food cake in an airtight container on the counter for 1-2 days.
You can store an angel food cake lightly wrapped in plastic wrap and in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days.
How To Freeze Angel Food Cake
Before you freeze the cake, make sure the cake is completely cool. Next wrap the cake well in aluminum foil. Place inside a freezer ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow the cake to defrost overnight in the fridge.
After the cake is thawed, then you can cut the cake in half and layer with whipped cream and pineapple.
Fancy Pineapple Angel Food Cake
There’s a few things you can do to take your angel food cake to the next level. First, I cut this angel food cake in half. Then I layered on homemade whipped cream and chopped pineapple pieces, then placed the top of the cake back on, and repeated the garnishes on the top of the cake.
Pineapple Angel Food Cake
- 1 box angel food cake mix
- 20 oz crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
To Top the Cake
- 20 oz pineapple chunks or pineapple slices, cut into smaller pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. In a large mixing bowl, beat the angel food cake mix and crushed pineapple together for 60 seconds on medium speed. The batter will triple in size and become very fluffy.
- Pour the batter into an un-greased 10 inch tube pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top is golden and not jiggly in the center.
- Immediately invert the pan and allow the cake to cool completely. This may take 2-3 hours.
- Meanwhile, place a metal mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for the whipped cream. Once the cake is cool, use a small spatula or knife and go around the sides of the pan and the center piece to help release the cake from the pan. Place the cake on a serving plate.
- Place a metal mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the freezer. Add the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract, beat with an electric mixer for 4-5 minutes, or until stiff peaks form / it’s scoop-able with a spoon and holds its shape.
Assemble The Cake
- Use a sharp serrated bread knife or cake lever to cut the angel food cake in half. Remove the top of the cake. Spread half of the whipped cream onto the cake and top with chopped pineapple pieces. Place the top of the cake back on, adding remaining whipped cream and fruit. Cut with a sharp serrated bread knife and serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.