Want our top 10 essential dessert recipes?
Get our favorite classic recipes in your inbox! It’s 100% free, but we might make you hungry!
Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cakes
I went into Target and of course I stopped at the dollar spot. Dangerous, right? Very. I found the cutest pineapple paper straws and had to buy them because I really do like the pineapple craze that’s going on right now.
So my brain went into pineapple mode, brainstorming pineapple recipes I could share with you so I could somehow include the cute straws in the photos. Kind of sad that this whole thing was revolving around straws, huh?
I really should have bought 2 packs of these straws.. I went back to Target a week later and couldn’t find any left. So I’m salvaging them because you never know when you’re going to need a cute pineapple straw.
This recipe is super easy to make with only 7 ingredients! Plus it yields 24 mini cakes so if you need to bring a lot of dessert to a party or picnic, this is a great recipe to go with!
The pineapple upside down cakes are so moist themselves, but I think the whole dessert gets elevated to the next level when you add the garnishes!
Add a swirl of whipped cream, cool whip, or vanilla buttercream to each cake and top with a fresh slice of pineapple and a maraschino cherry.
I like to use maraschino cherries with stems for garnish, so if you’re wanting ones with stems be sure to check the jar while you’re in the store because typically they are de-stemmed but my grocery store offered both.
A few recipe notes:
-You need one can (20 oz) of chopped pineapple. This recipe uses both the pineapple juice and the pineapple, so be sure to drain the juice, but save it!
-After the cakes are done baking, allow them to cool in the pan for 5-7 minutes but not too long, otherwise they might become stuck. Use a metal spatula or knife to loosen the cakes around the edges and then remove them from the pan to cool completely.
Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cakes
Yield: 24 mini cakes
Total Time:1 hour
- 1 can chopped pineapple, 20 oz (separate the pineapple from the juice, but keep BOTH!)
- 1 box yellow cake mix, 18.25 oz
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 & 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 stick butter plus 2 additional tbsp butter, melted
- maraschino cherries, 12 halved plus additional for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Separate the pineapple juice from the can of pineapple, but keep both.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, and reserved pineapple juice with an electric mixer until combined, about 2 minutes.
- Spray 24 muffin cup pan with non-stick cooking spray. In small mixing bowl combine the brown sugar and melted butter, stir until thick. Using a cookie scoop, place a dollop of this mixture into each muffin cup. Using your fingers or spoon, press flat.
- Place half a maraschino cherry, cut side down, into the center of each muffin cup. Add 4-5 pieces of chopped pineapple to each muffin cup, arranging around the cherry.
- Use a cookie scoop to add the cake batter to each muffin cup, filing them 3/4 to all the way full. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow them to cool for 5-7 minutes before removing them from the pan, inverting to cool.
- When serving, top each cake with a dollop of cool whip or buttercream, pineapple slice and maraschino cherry.