Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
These peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are out of this world and always turn out perfect! They are chewy, soft and easy to freeze. Easy to make in one bowl with everyday ingredients and no chilling of the dough required!
This is one AMAZING, uncomplicated cookie recipe. No fuss, no chilling required and you can make it in one bowl!
The only thing you have to decide is what kind of chocolate chips you want to use! I used a combination of semi-sweet chocolate chips and chunks. But milk or dark chocolate chocolate chips, or a combination, would be excellent!
- unsalted butter: adds flavor and and tender texture
- brown sugar: adds sweetness & flavor, keeps the cookies moist and adds chewiness
- granulated sugar: adds sweetness, flavor and encourages browning
- creamy peanut butter: gives flavor and structure
- egg: binds the cookies together by providing structure
- vanilla extract: adds flavor
- all purpose flour: flour is necessary to build structure in cookies
- baking soda: helps to leaven and lift the dough, affects browning and flavor
- baking powder: helps to leaven and lift the dough, affects browning and flavor
- salt: enhances the other flavors in the cookies
- chocolate chips: I used semi-sweet chocolate chips and chunks. Feel free to use a combination of semi-sweet, milk or dark chocolate.
How to Make Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cream the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar together with a mixer
- Add in the peanut butter, vanilla extract and egg, beat again until smooth.
- Gently add in the dry ingredients and chocolate chips, mixing on low or by hand just until combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop dough balls on a silicone mat lined baking sheet. Bake and Cool.
Baking Time Suggestions
For the cookies in the photos, the dough balls were about 3 heaping tablespoons, so that’s a large cookie! I baked those for 11-13 minutes – just until the edge of the cookie would begin to turn golden. The result is a soft and chewy peanut butter chocolate chip cookie!
If you make smaller dough balls, you should reduce the baking time otherwise the cookies will be over done.
Total Time Required
- 10 minutes to make the cookie dough
- 11-13 minutes to bake the cookies
- 15 minutes to cool the cookies
How to Store Cookies
Store cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days.
How to Freeze Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Drop cookie dough balls onto a silicone mat lined baking sheet. You can place the dough balls close together since you won’t be baking them.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer until the cookies are frozen solid, about 1 hour.
- Remove the baking sheet from the freezer and transfer the frozen cookie dough balls to a ziplock freezer bag. Label the bag with baking directions.
- Freeze the cookie dough for up to 3 months.
To bake: remove the dough from the freezer. Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF. Bake for 13-16 minutes. Frozen cookies may need to bake for 1-2 minutes longer.
How to Make Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
I have made these cookies multiple times with King Arthur’s Gluten Free Measure for Measure Flour with great success.
- Properly measure the all purpose flour using the spoon and sweep method.
- Use room temperature butter for easier creaming of the butter and sugar.
- I recommend using a standard (not natural) creamy peanut butter, like Jif or Skippy for this recipe. Using a natural peanut butter can cause a crumbly texture.
- Leave the dough balls as balls or flatten slightly before baking – it’s up to you! The balls will produce taller, domed cookies and flattening will produce nice, evenly flat cookies.
- Press extra chocolate chips on the outside of the dough balls before baking for a picture perfect cookie!
More Cookie Recipes
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 stick unsalted butter, 1/2 cup, room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter, not natural
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer for 1 minute, until smooth and fluffy.
- Add in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla extract, beat again, less than 1 minute.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and 1 cup chocolate chips mixing on low or with a spatula just until combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Use a small cookie scoop to form balls from the dough. Once released from the scoop, roll in hands to form a uniform ball. Add the remaining chocolate chips to the outside of the balls. Place the cookies 2-3 inches apart on a silicone lined baking sheet and bake for 11-13 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to just turn golden. My cookie dough balls were 2.5-3 tablespoons large and baked for 12 minutes. Be sure to adjust the baking time for smaller cookies.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 15 minutes.
Followed recipe exactly as written and explained It was way to crumbly and could barely taste the peanut butter in them.