Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
Indulge in the ultimate dessert mashup with these irresistible Oreo Rice Krispie Treats! Crunchy Rice Krispies and chunks of Oreo cookies are blended together and smothered in gooey marshmallow, creating an upgraded version of a classic rice krispie treat recipe!
Two things that always make me feel like a kid again are rice krispie treats and oreo cookies. Combining them together into oreo rice krispies will be your new favorite treat! Classic rice krispie treats are amazing as it is, but adding oreo to a basic rice krispie treat recipe seriously levels up these cereal bars! Homemade rice krispie treats are so easy to make and great for when you need a treat, but you don’t want to take the time to bake dessert.
These oreo rice krispie treats start with a base of buttery, crunchy rice krispies, which are then combined with oreo crumbs and melted marshmallows. The end result is an irresistible, gooey treat that is easy to make and can be customized to suit any taste. With their classic flavor, oreo goodness and creamy-crunchy texture, Oreo Rice Krispie Treats are on the next level!
Why You’ll Love These Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
- No bake dessert
- Fun variation on a traditional rice krispie
- Simple ingredients for a delicious dessert
- Easily customizable
What You’ll Need for Oreo Rice Krispies
Oreo krispie treats are made with just 6 basic ingredients and are always a crowd pleaser. Take these to your next dessert potluck! Get the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter
- Miniature marshmallows
- Vanilla extract
- Rice Krispies cereal
- Oreo cookies
How to Make Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
If you’re a fan of easy desserts, this recipe is perfect for you. Make these gooey marshmallow treats in just a few easy steps! Get the full recipe in the recipe card below.
Measure marshmallows. Measure out 10 cups of mini marshmallows in a large bowl. Then set 2 cups aside for later.
Prepare baking dish. Line a 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper. You can skip the parchment paper and grease your whole pan with butter or cooking spray if you prefer.
Melt butter and marshmallows. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and 8 cups of mini marshmallows over medium low heat. Stir until melted. Then stir in the salt and vanilla extract.
Add remaining ingredients. With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix in the rice krispie cereal, additional 2 cups of marshmallows, and almost all the oreos (save a few for the top) to the melted marshmallow mixture, stir until completely coated.
Transfer the mixture to the baking dish. Gently press the rice krispies into the prepared pan. The more you press them down, they become more dense and not quite as airy and gooey. Pro tip: use slightly wet hands when pressing them, this helps to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands.
Add oreo toppings. Press the remaining oreos on the top if you want.
Set and serve. Allow them to set for about 1 hour. Then slice the Krispy treats with a sharp knife into squares and enjoy.
Tips for the best Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
- Be careful not to over-mix. Stir until the cereal and marshmallow mixture is well combined but don’t over-mix. Over-mixing will create a fluffy texture.
- Don’t over-press your oreo rice krispie treats. Gently press the mixture into your pan. The more you press, the flatter and more dense your treats will be.
- Wet hands to prevent sticking. Stay nearby water while you’re mixing up these oreo rice krispie treats. The marshmallow will be very sticky. Rinsing your hands before and sometimes during mixing is the trick to keeping it off your hands.
Substitutions & Variations
- Use different flavored oreos: These are fantastic with regular oreos, but peanut butter oreos, mint chocolate oreos, and golden oreos would all be a fun twist on this oreo rice krispies treats recipe!
- Use more marshmallows. If you want the gooey-ist oreo rice krispies, add extra marshmallows to this recipe.
Storing & Freezing Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
Store rice crispy treats in an airtight container or large zip lock back at room temperature for 2-3 days. Allow them to cool completely before storing and separate them with parchment paper if you want to avoid them getting stuck together. You can also put them in the refrigerator to make them last a little longer.
Freezing is also an option for these oreo rice krispies! Be sure to let them cool completely before preparing to freeze them. Wrap each square in parchment paper and place in a freezer safe container or a freezer zip lock bag for up to 6 weeks.
More Rice Crispy Treat Recipes
- Rice Krispie Easter Eggs
- S’mores Rice Krispie Treats
- Mini Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats
- Spider Rice Krispie Treats
Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 stick unsalted butter, 1/2 cup
- 10 cups mini marshmallows, divided, this is about two 10 oz bags
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 22 oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
- Measure out 10 cups of mini marshmallows. Then set 2 cups aside for later.
- Line a 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper. You can skip the parchment paper and grease your pan with butter if you prefer.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and 8 cups of mini marshmallows over medium-low heat. Stir until melted. then stir in the salt and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the rice krispies, additional 2 cups of marshmallows, and almost all the oreos (save a few for the top) stir until completely coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish. Gently press the rice krispies into the pan. The more you press them down, they become more dense and not quite as airy and gooey. Pro tip: use slightly wet hands when pressing them, this helps to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands.
- Press the remaining oreos on the top if you want.
- Allow them to set, about 1 hour. Then slice with a sharp knife into squares and enjoy.