Orange Cream Pie
Oh my PIE!
I’m in orange cream pie heaven.
This pie made me forget about chocolate pie. That’s a big accomplishment.
The flavor is stunning, I mean, look at that fresh zest.
The orange cream is light and very fresh, and has the texture of a custard. So, not too airy like a mousse can be.
This pie is unbelievably easy to make – only 5 ingredients for the orange cream. All normal ingredients that you may typically have on hand.
And using a pre-made graham cracker crust significantly decreases the amount of time spent in the kitchen. And I like that.
Topping the pie with a little bit of cool whip is a fantastic idea.
Mmmm, I can almost taste it!
- Pre-made graham cracker pie crust
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup & 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the prepared crust on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the condensed milk with the egg yolks until well blended. Whisk in the lemon juice, orange juice concentrate, and orange zest until completely mixed. Pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, just until the custard is hot. The result will be a soft, creamy filling. Let it cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate until completely chilled.
Recipe adapted from Desserts from the Famous Loveless Cafe Book