Healthier Chocolate Mini Muffins
My friend Hannah is obsessed with my healthier chocolate cake recipe. But here’s the kicker, she’s never had it.
I think she secretly wishes I would make that recipe every Wednesday and bring it to our bible study. But I don’t get the chance to re-make a lot of my own recipes when there are new recipes to be made!
So I decided to re-make the healthier chocolate cake recipe into a muffin recipe for our bible study cookie exchange.
Yes, I brought muffins to a cookie exchange.
But I was really killing 2 birds with one stone – I got a new recipe made and I didn’t have to spend extra time making something special for the exchange. That’s called working smarter folks!
The biggest draw about this recipe is that it’s healthier because there’s no granulated sugar, oil or butter!
I will point out the obvious – this recipe calls for chocolate chips, which aren’t free from refined sugar. I’m okay with eating chocolate chips (this girl is a dessert blogger!). But you can choose to leave them out or use a healthier chocolate chip alternative like cocoa nibs.
Remember, these are healthier – I didn’t say they are the most healthy chocolate muffins on the planet ever and are zero calories.
But for a girl who uses a lot of butter, sugar and powdered sugar (think CAKE!) these healthier chocolate muffins really are healthier when compared to some of the other things I make!
I use my mini muffin pan all the time and actually prefer to make mini muffins over regular sized ones because my brain thinks I have more muffins that way.
I know it actually yields the same amount either way, but I like mini things. Especially mini things with chocolate :)
This recipe makes 24 mini muffins or 12 regular sized muffins. See the baking directions below.
- 1 & 1/2 bananas, ripe
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt (vanilla or plain)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cups all purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Line a mini muffin pan or regular muffin pan with muffin liners.
- In a mixing bowl beat the bananas with an electric mixer until pureed.
- Add in the greek yogurt, honey, vanilla extract and egg, mixing by hand with a spatula.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda, mix until incorporated.
- Add the 1/4 cup of chocolate chips (mini or regular), mix.
- Use a cookie scoop to fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake MINI MUFFINS for 11-14 minutes or bake REGULAR MUFFINS for 19-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.