Honey Bun Cake
Ever since moving to Michigan I have become a huge fan of garage sales.
We went from living in a 600 square foot apartment to a 3 story house, so we’ve been acquiring furniture to fill this house! New furniture can be so expensive so it’s been fun to find used pieces. And I totally agree that furniture just isn’t made the same way it used to be. So usually when I find a used piece, it’s better quality than what I could afford new.
PLUS I love a good deal. I got 2 sitting chairs and a coffee table for $40. I hit the jackpot there. And we bought a globe on a stand for $60 that the owner had listed at $120. Long story short, we looked online to see price comparisons and saw that the exact same globe this guy was selling was $79 on amazon, so we were able to talk him down to $60.
The other thing I look for at garage sales are books. Cookbooks and hardcover books that I can use as decoration. I stopped at one garage sale that had so many cookbooks, so I bought all the books they had from the Cake Mix Doctor for 25 cents a piece! That lady is a genius.
I saw this recipe for Honey Bun Cake in her general doctored up cake mix book. I must have been in a breakfast, cinnamon-y mood because I knew I had to make it.
The awesome thing about this recipe is that you can use a gluten free yellow cake mix! Bless the people who pushed for gluten free cake mixes!
I made very minor tweaks to this recipe, as it’s already incredibly delicious. I also found that more glaze is better ????????
Need an excuse to eat cake for breakfast? Now you have one!
Honey Bun Cake
Yield: 9x13 inch pan
Total Time:1 hour
The most delicious doctored up HONEY BUN CAKE mix recipe! Easy to make with a box of cake mix, and with swirls of honey, cinnamon and brown sugar! Awesome breakfast cinnamon cake.
- 1 box yellow cake mix, 18.25 oz (can use a gluten free mix!)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey **Pro tip: spray the 1/2 cup with non-stick cooking spray before measuring the honey**
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, sour cream, vegetable oil and eggs, beat with an electric mixer for 1 minute or until combined. Pour the cake mixture into the 9x13 inch pan, smooth with a spatula.
- Drizzle the honey all over the cake.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon, mix with a spoon to combine. Sprinkle this mixture all over the cake. Use a butter knife or spatula to swirl this mixture into the cake batter.
- Bake for 36-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool while you make the glaze.
- In a mixing bowl combine the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Use a whisk to stir the mixture until it’s smooth.
- YOUR CHOICE: pour the glaze over the warm cake or let the cake cool completely then add the glaze. Serve right away or cover the cake pan with a lid and store on the counter until serving!