Easy Pumpkin Swirl Cake
Easy pumpkin swirl cake is made with a doctored up yellow cake mix with a delicious pumpkin filling layer swirled in! It tastes like pumpkin coffee cake. Give this pumpkin cake with cake mix a try for breakfast or dessert!
It took me forever to name this recipe.
Some recipes fit within a box, but others are a mash up of 3 different desserts and then you’re left trying to pair down “easy pumpkin swirl coffee cake with yellow cake mix and canned pumpkin” into like 3 words.
So, easy pumpkin swirl cake it is. But I really feel like this cake is a pumpkin coffee cake, just minus the crumb topping. And google says that a coffee cake is a cake, often spice flavored, with drizzled white icing – this cake definitely fits that description!
There are so many names you could call this cake.
So let’s break it down..
Pumpkin coffee cake ingredients
- sour cream
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- yellow cake mix (can use a gluten free mix!)
- pumpkin puree
- brown sugar
- pumpkin pie spice
Follow the detailed instructions below, but essentially make the doctored up cake batter and pour that into a 9×13 inch pan.
Then make the pumpkin swirl mixture, and swirl on top of the cake.
Once the cake is done baking, drizzle the glaze over the cake.
This is for sure the easiest way to make pumpkin coffee cake!
Make Ahead of Time
You can make this pumpkin cake with sour cream the day before you serve it and store it on the counter in an airtight container. However, I recommend waiting to add the glaze until the day of, otherwise the glaze can make the cake soggy.
Does pumpkin cake need to be refrigerated?
No. The cake can be kept on the counter in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
What can I use in place of a box of yellow cake mix?
You can replace the 15.25 oz box of yellow cake mix with another 15.25 oz cake mix. Other flavors I recommend are white, butter golden, spice, and french vanilla!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Coffee Cake
I tested this recipe with a Betty Crocker gluten free yellow cake mix and it turned out SO good!
Tips for making doctored up pumpkin coffee cake
Don’t be afraid to really swirl in the pumpkin mixture. Use a butter knife or small spatula to do this.
If you bake your cake in a metal pan, check the cake for doneness at 32 minutes. I used a glass pan which slows the flow of heat, meaning it takes a little longer to bake.
Want cream cheese icing instead?
Beat 4 oz softened cream cheese with 2 cups powdered sugar and 1/4 cup milk until thick. If too thick, beat in more milk (1 tsp at a time).
More Pumpkin Desserts
- Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
- Pumpkin Donuts
- Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies
- Pumpkin Whipped Cream
Easy Pumpkin Swirl Cake
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 box yellow cake, 15.25 oz (can use a gluten free mix!)
- 1 can pumpkin puree, 15 oz
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp milk or more if needed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Spray a 9×13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract, beat with an electric mixer for 1 minute or until combined. Add in the cake mix, gently mixing with the beater. Pour the cake mixture into the 9×13 inch pan, smooth with a spatula.
- In a small bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, egg, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and nutmeg, mix with a spatula to combine.
- Drop scoops of the pumpkin mixture all over the cake. Use a butter knife or spatula to swirl this mixture into the cake batter. Don’t be afraid to really swirl it!
- Bake for 40-43 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool while you make the glaze. *Note: Baking time is for a glass pan. For a metal pan check the cake for doneness at 32 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl combine the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Use a whisk to stir the mixture until it’s smooth.
- YOUR CHOICE: pour the glaze over the warm cake or let the cake cool completely then add the glaze. Serve right away or cover the cake pan with a lid and store on the counter until serving!
Thanks for sharing these amazing recipes and deshies. IT’S Looks tasties. I also made up some types of the cupcake, ice cream cake, etc. but it’s really wonderful article. Ice cream Cake
Working from home and since my husband loved the pumpkin dump cake so much I looked for more recipes and thought he might enjoy this one as well! It doesn’t have to be Fall to have a treat this yummy!
Am I safe in assuming that for the cream cheese icing instructions I am to use 1/4 cup milk? it says “14 cup milk” which seems to be a lot of milk, LOL :) Can’t wait to make this recipe this weekend!
Oh gosh, yes 1/4 cup milk!! I’ll fix it! Thank you Jenn!
Could you make this cake in a bunt cake pan? If so how long would you bake it?
I just made this cake for my church and they all loved it. I added brown sugar to the pumpkin it was great
Could you substitute banana for the pumpkin, and just leave out the pumpkin spice? How much banana would you need? 2 cups? More?
Hi Pattie! I would need to rework the recipe to omit the pumpkin before I can offer an accurate answer!
I had all the ingredients, except yellow cake mix.
I substituted spice cake mix.
I then used the cream cheese icing.
cake appeared done but the pumpkin parts were not is this normal ?
Hi Michelle! The pumpkin filling is more like a frosting that bakes into the cake, so yes, that makes sense if it was more gooey!
I gave 5 ⭐️ Stars even with my blunder. I put 2 tsp of All Spice instead of Pumpkin Spice. I didn’t realize what I had done until the cake had been baked. Is there a way of saving it at this point?
How did it taste? A little strong on the all spice?!
This came out delicious! I subbed plain Greek yogurt for sour cream and topped it with a streusel instead of a glaze. Great recipe!
Quick, easy and very tasty!!
This recipe is amazing! My husband is going to love this cake! I just made it! Wow it’s delicious!
I would like to try this but not with a cake mix would rather use a yellow cake from scratch
Followed the recipe as directed. Used a golden yellow mix. Pumpkin sank a little , it took longer to bake then stated tester came out to wet. , will try with other kind of mixes
couldn’t you use a white cake from scratch instead of a box mix.
Yes, you can if you prefer!