Easy Pumpkin Pie Bars
Easy pumpkin pie bars are made with a classic pumpkin pie filling and a 2 ingredient cake mix crust. Made in a 9×13 inch pan, these pumpkin pie bars with cake mix are quick to make with only 8 ingredients!
My taste testers (hey ladies!!) loved this recipe. But I’m starting to think they just like anything I bring – which is great, haha, or maybe they are just hungry! My one friend in particular, Hannah, is my favorite person to try recipes out on because her reactions are the best.
When Ryan tries something I’ve made, his response is “it’s good.” So I usually have to ask him like 10 different questions to pull more information out of him.
When Hannah tries something, her response is usually “Oh my gosh, this is AMAZING!” And she’ll mention it several times. Love you Hannah!
Moral of the story, the verdict is in, and whether you’re more of a “it’s good” person or a “this is amazing” person, this recipe is a favorite!
This recipe is a cross between pumpkin pie bars and pumpkin cake. The crust is made from a box of yellow cake mix with melted butter to form more of a cookie/cake bottom. The filling is just like pumpkin pie filling.
And when you bake it in a 9×13 inch pan, you get delicious pumpkin pie bars with that classic pumpkin pie filling and hints of yellow cake mix in the crust.
To keep these bars looking just like pumpkin pie, I topped each slice with a dollop of cool whip.
What You’ll Need
- 1 box of yellow cake mix – this plus melted butter makes the crust!
- melted butter
- 1 can pumpkin puree – be sure to use 100% pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix
- 2 eggs – large
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk – it’s like magic in a can
- cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice – the quintessential pumpkin spices!
How to make pumpkin pie bars
Crust. Preheat the oven to 350º F. Spray a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray.
In a mixing bowl, combine the yellow cake mix and melted butter until a thick ball of dough forms. Press the dough evenly into the 9×13 inch pan.
Filling. In another mixing bowl, combine the can of pumpkin, eggs, sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin pie spice and beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until the mixture is combined and smooth. Pour the filling on top of the crust.
Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the bars to cool before cutting.
- 10 minutes to prep the batter
- 35-45 minutes to bake
- allow the bars to cool before cutting
Gluten free pumpkin bars
Use a box of gluten free yellow cake mix to make this recipe gluten free!
Do pumpkin bars need to be refrigerated?
Yes. Similar to pumpkin pie, the bars can sit out after baking to cool. If you’re serving the bars the same day you baked them, they can sit out until serving. Store leftovers in the fridge.
If you’re making the bars in advance, be sure to refrigerate them until serving. If you prefer them room temperature before serving, remove them at least 30 minutes in advance.
Cut them into big or small bars
I love that you can cut these bars into whatever size you want, making them more bite sized or cutting them into ginormous slices like I did.
Now I know there are some people who are very loyal to their traditions, and having pumpkin pie on thanksgiving is a big tradition, but if you’re brave enough to mix it up, or even to serve these easy pumpkin pie bars along side of a classic pumpkin pie – I bet you most people will want to try BOTH!
Can I use pumpkin pie filling instead of pumpkin puree?
No. Canned pumpkin pie filling contains added sugar and spices. This recipe has only been tested with 100% canned pumpkin puree.
How to freeze pumpkin pie bars
If you’re planning on freezing the entire pan of bars, I recommend putting parchment paper in the bottom of the 9×13 inch pan so you can easily lift the bars out of the baking pan. Allow the bars to cool completely.
Wrap well in 2 layers of plastic wrap. Label and date. Place in the freezer on a flat surface.
To thaw: place the bars, still wrapped in plastic, in the fridge until thawed, about 6-12 hours.
More Pumpkin Desserts
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Easy Pumpkin Swirl Cake
- Pumpkin Graham Crackers
- Easy Pumpkin Cake from Box Mix
- Mini Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispies
Easy Pumpkin Pie Bars
- 1 box yellow cake mix, 15.25 oz
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted, 1/2 cup
- 1 can pure pumpkin, 15 oz (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 14oz
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Spray a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the yellow cake mix and melted butter until a thick ball of dough forms. Press the dough evenly into the 9×13 inch pan.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the can of pumpkin, eggs, sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin pie spice and beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until the mixture is combined and smooth. Pour the filling on top of the crust.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the bars to cool before cutting.