Bubbling Witch’s Cauldron Brownies
Halloween brownies only call for a handful of ingredients! We love making these bubbling witch’s cauldron brownies for our halloween party each year! This is an easy halloween treat for kids to help with!
I have a serious love for halloween food.
It doesn’t even have to be a dessert, I just love how creative themed food is – like this cheese ball cauldron!
Growing up halloween was always about food, class parties or neighborhood parties and decorations. I love the anticipation of halloween coming, and with halloween food or early fall parties it’s like you can celebrate halloween for weeks!
That’s why I think I like halloween themed food so much. Plus when else can you eat melted witch cake or pumpkin shaped quesadillas except for in the weeks leading up to halloween!
In particular, I like witch themed things. Not scary witch stuff, but the cute witch legs you can stick outside, or a fun witch wreath, so I channeled my love for witch things into these fun bubbling witch’s cauldron brownies!
In terms of halloween treats, this one comes together pretty fast. You’ll use a box of brownie mix for the base of the cauldrons. You can even opt to buy jarred frosting so you don’t have to make buttercream.
If you’re making these for an adult party, you could flavor the buttercream to be mint with some mint extract, because mint & chocolate are a perfect pair.
- brownie mix plus the ingredients listed on the back
- buttercream ( butter + powdered sugar, recipe below)
- a mini muffin pan (or several) depending on how many cauldrons you want to make
- green food coloring (I used Leaf Green Wilton Gel Food Coloring – you can find it at Michaels)
- green round sprinkles. I found both the large and small ones at Michaels. They come in a small plastic rectangle shaped bag.
- pretzel sticks, if you’re wanting to add a “stir spoon” to your cauldrons
Total Time Required
- 3 minutes to prep brownie mix
- 10-15 minutes to bake brownies
- 30 minutes to cool brownies, meanwhile make the buttercream frosting
- 5 minutes to assemble (add frosting, sprinkles and pretzel to each cauldron)
- These halloween brownies can be prepped up to 2 days in advance.
- Once you remove the brownies from the oven, use a 1/2 tbsp to make indentations in each brownie for the frosting.
For a step-by-step of how to make this bubbling witch’s cauldron brownie recipe, watch this short video:
More Halloween Treats
Subscribe to The First Year newsletter to get our recipes sent to your inbox! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Youtube. If you make this recipe, tag @beth_thefirstyear on instagram!
- Preheat the oven and prepare the brownie mix as directed on the box.
- Spray a mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Fill each muffin well 2/3 full with brownie batter.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and use a 1/2 tablespoon to create indentations in each brownie. Allow the brownies to cool completely then remove from the pan.
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter with an electric mixer until smooth, 30 seconds. Gradually add in the powered sugar, beating until incorporated. Add in a small amount of green food coloring, beat until mixed.
- Use a spoon to put a dollop of buttercream in each brownie cauldron. Use the spoon to create wisps in the buttercream.
- Add large green nonpareils and small green nonpareils to the buttercream. If you want to create the look that the cauldron is bubbling over, have the buttercream go down the side of the brownie and add nonpareils there too.
- Add a broken pretzel stick to each cauldron as a stir spoon.
- Serve or store on the counter until ready to serve if serving the same day, otherwise store in tupperware container until ready to serve.