New Years Eve White Chocolate Puppy Chow
Easy to make new year’s eve white puppy chow snack mix! Turn your favorite puppy chow recipe into a new year’s eve dessert with gold sprinkles and edible gold stars!
Ryan and I still can’t decide what to call this chex mix. I call it puppy chow, he calls it muddy buddies, and we can’t blame it on growing up in different parts of the US because we’re from the same city ?
Whether you call this snack mix muddy buddies or puppy chow, it’s down right addicting. Plus, this version I’m sharing gets a little glow up for New Year’s Eve!
I like to incorporate a variety of new year’s eve themed desserts each year when we celebrate. When I think of NYE food I think of appetizers, grab food, and snacky things. Oh and champagne!
To me, it makes that holiday extra special if you serve a treat that’s festive. To get you in the New Year’s Eve mood, add our champagne jello cups, midnight kiss cookies, easy champagne cupcakes or new year’s eve oreo balls to your menu!
If you’re looking for a quick new year’s eve snack recipe, this is the one for you! Everyone loves puppy chow, or muddy buddies, so I know it will be a hit at any party! I decided to make this batch extra New Year’s Eve-y (is that even a word?) by using gold sprinkles and edible gold stars!
How to make white chocolate new year’s eve puppy chow
- In order to make puppy chow that is more white in color, omit the chocolate chips and replace with white chocolate chips.
- Once the base puppy chow is made, drizzle additional melted white chocolate over the puppy chow, then shake gold sanding sugar over the drizzled chocolate. This adds a beautiful pop of gold to the white puppy chow!
- Finish the muddy buddies with large gold star sprinkles or edible gold stars.
How to store puppy chow (muddy buddies)
Store puppy chow in an airtight container or ziplock bag and keep on the counter for up to 2 weeks.
Can I freeze puppy chow?
Yes. Place the puppy chow inside a freezer safe ziplock bag or container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, place the container on the counter overnight.
Tips for making new year’s eve white chocolate puppy chow
- Use a large bowl when mixing the cereal with the melted white chocolate / peanut butter mixture. OR divide the mixture between 2 bowls for easier mixing.
- Place the coated puppy chow inside a ziplock bag or large brown paper bag, add the powdered sugar, close the bag and shake well to fully coat the puppy chow in powdered sugar.
- I recommend using creamy peanut butter. Do not use natural peanut butter.
- You can use any plain chex type cereal (rice, corn, wheat, etc.) To make this recipe gluten free, be sure to use gluten free approved rice or corn chex cereal.
- Put the additional melted white chocolate in a squeeze bottle for easy drizzling.
Want to send your guests home with a festive new year’s eve treat? Package the white chocolate puppy chow in cellophane bags and tie with gold tinsel or a gold ribbon.
New Year’s Eve White Chocolate Puppy Chow
- 10-11 cups chex cereal, this is about a 12 oz box
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups white chocolate chips, equal to 12 oz bag
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, or coconut oil
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- gold sanding sugar
- large star sprinkles
- edible gold star sprinkles
- Place the chex cereal in a large bowl. Or divide into 2 bowls for easier mixing. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine the peanut butter, white chocolate chips and oil. Stir occasionally until the chocolate mixture is melted and smooth.
- Before pouring the chocolate over the chex, reserve about 3 tbsp for drizzling on top of the puppy chow – I like to put this into a squeeze bottle. Pour the remaining chocolate mixture on top of the chex and gently mix to evenly coat the cereal.
- Quickly transfer the chocolate covered cereal to a large gallon sized ziploc bag or large brown paper bag. Add in 1 cup of powdered sugar, seal and shake well until the cereal is coated. If the cereal is not completely coated, add another 1/2 cup powdered sugar and shake again. If using a ziplock bag, you’ll have to coat the cereal with powdered sugar in batches.
- Pour the cereal onto a large baking sheet. Drizzle the remaining white chocolate on top of the cereal and then add the gold sprinkles and edible gold stars. I like to work in small sections when drizzling the chocolate so it doesn’t harden before I add the sprinkles.
- Allow the puppy chow to set on the pan for 15 minutes. Place the puppy chow in a bowl and add additional gold stars.
Puppy chow covered in sparkly stars just doesn’t get much better! Those edible stars are just add so much fun to this snack mix!
I swear I could have used another bottle or two of those stars!
Everyone does LOVE puppy chow. Never thought about doing little bags for a New Year’s Eve party.
I would love if someone bag me a bag of puppy chow to take home!!
What a festive snack for the new year! I love how you packaged them up in little bags too, perfect for snacking!
A little piece of NYE to take with you into the new year!
Great idea! Puppy chow would make a great addition to any New Year’s Eve party. Hope you have wonderful 2015!
I know I would be hoarding the puppy chow bowl at any party!
This is so fun!! Happy New Year :)
Happy New Year Aimee!
Beth, what kind of Chex did you use? Rice or corn? Maybe I missed that part. lol I love the sparkly gold stars! :)
You can use whatever you prefer – rice or corn!
Those stars are so cute! I’ve never cared too much about New Years, but if it means I get to cover everything in edible gold stars, I’m totally in!
Aww I am loving all your sparkly gold recipes Beth! Totally getting me in the mood for some celebrating!
I need at least another week before NYE, I have too many gold things I want to share!!
BEAUTIFUL!! Just love this!!
Thank you Amanda!
Where did you find edible gold stars?! This wouldn’t make it to the party if I were to make it!
Love love love! I have a gold addiction too. The gold stars are perfect! I need some of those ASAP. Happy New Year!
Ali, I am so glad I’m not the only one with a gold addiction! Happy New Year to you too!
I don’t make puppy chow nearly enough. Adding this to my to-make list, even if I missed making it for New Year’s Eve ;)
Yay! We shouldn’t not make this recipe just because NYE is over!
Very nice New Year Party Ideas shared on this website. I really like it and I try to implement it by my self and also tell my friends. Keep sharing more Happy new year party ideas with us so that we can make our new year memorable.