Puppy Chow Bars
The long debated topic in my house is ‘puppy chow versus muddy buddies’.
If you’re not familiar with what I’m talking about, the debate revolves around trying to determine what the “correct” name for this dessert is.
Puppy chow or muddy buddies consists of chex cereal that’s coated in melted chocolate and melted peanut butter, then you add in powdered sugar and shake the cereal until everything is nice and coated.
It’s delicious and addicting.
I’m team puppy chow, that’s what I grew up calling it.
Ryan is team muddy buddies.
You guys, Ryan and I grew up in the same city, so how did we learn 2 different names for the same dessert??
Ryan claims that the actual name is muddy buddies because that’s what the back of the chex box calls them. That seems pretty legit, but we have agreed to disagree and I still call refer to the dessert as puppy chow.
A friend on instagram suggested I make puppy chow bars and I was like YES GIRL ?
Why make puppy chow bars instead of puppy chow?
Because it’s a fun, surprising way to serve everyone’s favorite dessert. We’ve all tried puppy chow, but we haven’t all tried a delicious chocolate and peanut butter chex cereal bar that’s coated in powdered sugar.
How to make muddy buddy bars / how to make puppy chow bars
You use all the same key ingredients as puppy chow (chex cereal, chocolate chips, creamy peanut butter and powdered sugar) BUT you add in marshmallows!!!
Step 1. Melt the chocolate chips, butter and creamy peanut butter
Step 2. Add in the marshmallows, stir until almost melted.
Step 3. Pour this mixture (it will be THICK!) over the cereal, use a spatula to mix and coat the cereal.
Step 4. Press the muddy buddies krispie treats into a pan. Allow them to cool.
Step 5. Place powdered sugar in a ziplock bag. Cut the puppy chow krispie treats into bars. Add one bar at a time to the bag, seal and shake until coated in powdered sugar. Repeat.
Step 6. EAT THEM ALL.
Some people like to lightly coat their bars/puppy chow in powdered sugar, but I’m all about the powdered sugar. However, you can adjust to your liking.
How to make puppy chow bars gluten free, dairy free?
To make gluten free muddy buddies bars, use certified gluten free rice chex cereal. Be sure to check that the other ingredients you are using are also gluten free, however most are naturally gluten free.
To make dairy free puppy chow bars, substitute coconut oil for the butter and be sure to use dairy free chocolate chips. Nestle now makes a line called simply delicious that has dairy free chocolate chips!
Subscribe to The First Year newsletter to get our recipes sent to your inbox! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Youtube. If you make this recipe, tag @beth_thefirstyear on instagram!
- 7 cups chex cereal
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 bag mini marshmallows, 10 oz
- 1 cup powdered sugar (or more as needed)
- Measure out 7 cups of chex cereal in a LARGE mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In medium sized microwave safe mixing bowl, combine the chocolate chips and butter. Microwave on 50% power at 1 minute intervals, stirring until melted.
- Add in the peanut butter, microwave again on 50% power at 1 minute intervals, stirring until melted.
- Add in the marshmallows, microwave on 50% power at 1 minute intervals, stirring until melted - the marshmallows will not melt completely, but will get puffy. The mixture will begin to get very thick but stir with a spatula.
- Scoop this mixture over the chex cereal. Use a spatula (and some elbow grease, it is THICK!) to coat the cereal. You can also use your hands.
- Once the cereal is well coated, transfer the cereal to a 9x13 inch baking pan and press it into the pan with your hands.
- Allow the bars to cool completely - putting them in the fridge can speed up this process.
- Cut the bars into squares. Place 1 cup of powdered sugar in a ziplock bag. Place one bar inside the bag, close and shake until the bar is coated in powdered sugar. Repeat with all the bars.
- Place on a serving tray.