Oreo Scotcheroos – oh my gosh! If you love oreos and peanut butter, you will LOVE these!
Meet the new scotcheroo bar, it’s loaded with oreo goodness. :)
Did you know that you can put oreos inside scotcheroo bars? I’m convinced that you can probably put oreos inside anything. Like donuts and red velvet bars.
If you like to smoother peanut butter on your oreos (oh hey, that’s me!) I think you’ll want to try this recipe. You might like them so much that you decide to bring them to your next party. And at the party your best gal pal might ask for the recipe, and then she shares it with her sister… and this is the start of something good.
I know a lot of people associate scotcheroos with a chocolate and butterscotch topping. I mean, I suppose that is how scotcheroos got their name.. but I don’t like butterscotch. Funny thing, I actually bought a bag of butterscotch chips for this recipe, but when I got home, I was like “WHY DID I BUY THIS?!” I must have been on auto pilot when I wrote the ingredients on my shopping list. And the bag of butterscotch chips will probably sit in my pantry for a few months, untouched, until my tastebuds decide to like butterscotch, which might be never.
So these babies were made with only a chocolate topping. But I did include an option for a chocolate and butterscotch topping in the recipe.
I do have a little secret for how I cut the bars. Or maybe its more of a pain in the neck.. I wipe my knife on a paper towel after each cut. This method leaves perfect, clean cut lines every time.
I am also the type of person who measures (errr.. with a ruler, not eyeballing!) my bars into neat 2 inch squares. But don’t they look so perfect and you just want to reach through your screen?!
Now.. how will I get rid of that bag of butterscotch chips? Do squirrels like them?…
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups rice krispies cereal
- 14 oreos, roughly chopped
- 6 oreos, roughly chopped for top
- 2 ½ cups chocolate chips, or 1 & 1/4 cups chocolate chips and 1 & 1/4 cups butterscotch chips
- 3 tbsp oil, for melting the chocolate chips
- Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with wax paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Heat the corn syrup and sugar in a large pot over medium heat. Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to boil. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the peanut butter until incorporated.
- Add the rice krispies and oreos to the peanut butter mixture and mix until they are well coated.
- Transfer this mixture to the baking pan, making sure to press it down firmly. Set for about 15 minutes in the refrigerator or 25 minutes on the counter.
- In a small pot over low heat, melt the chocolate chips and the oil, stirring occasionally until it’s smooth. This may take up to 10 minutes, but keep the heat on low to avoid burning the chocolate.
- Pour the chocolate over the cereal layer.
- Place the 6 rough chopped oreos on top of the chocolate, gently pushing them into the chocolate. Refrigerate until set, up to one hour, but do not cover at this time.
- Remove the scotcheroos from the pan using the wax paper. Cut into 2 inch bars using a large knife. Store in an air tight container.
My husband would love these! He is a huge fan of oreos and peanut butter. I love making bars like these because they are the perfect little treat and are perfect for sharing!
And I love when they are perfectly cut into neat little squares!
I don’t think I’ve heard of a scotcheroo before. I have been missing out. They look incredible.
Christie, really?!! You must try them!
I haven’t had Scotcheroos since I was a kid – these look so much more amazing than the ones I remember!
You should them make for old times sake!
I am drooling! Another plus (unless I am wrong about the cereal,) these are vegan. I may not be vegan myself, but I can sure make others aware of this delicious creation :)
I think rice krispies are vegan!
Ok. These are awesome! I must make some!
Can you bring a platter of these over stat? Man these look amazing, Beth!
Yes, let’s trade bars for that yummy pizza bbq skillet of yours!
Love this Oreo twist! Do you deliver? :D
I sure do!
Scotcheroos are a totally new thing for me! I love the Oreo version!
What?!?! a new thing?!
I pretty much love all the ingredients in this Beth!! Nice version!
Woohoo, thank you Deb!
Eeeek! Beth, these look A-MAZING! I love peanut butter AND oreos – I need these in my life!
I’m pretty sure you’ve probably made some delicious PB and oreo combo on your blog!!
Oh my. My sister in law lovvessssssss scrotcheroos so I know exactly what I am making her for her birthday next month!
An oreo scotcheroo CAKE?!
Mmm, these are awesome! And I’m with, I’m pretty sure you can put an Oreo inside just about anything and it’d be delicious!
I totally agree Amanda!
These look soooooo good!!
It’s the oreoooooss right? ;)
I don’t like butterscotch either so I usually don’t make scotcheroos. I can definitely get behind this no-butterscotch version! Love the peanut butter oreo combination!
I am glad we understand each other Jessica :)
Another good one! I wished we lived closer, I could help you eat them. Got milk?
I’ll bring the bars, you bring the milk!
Wow you always post the best treats ever!! You have a fan here in Toronto :-)
These look over the top delish! I’m trying to avoid all sweets, but I just seem to keep finding them! I think they must be calling my name!
I suggest making these on your cheat day and inviting some friends over to help you eat them!
These are calling my name!
These Oreo Scotcheroos looks incredible – I love that you added oreos to traditional scotcheroos. Pinned!!
Thank you Rachel! We just added a little extra goodness to something that was already really good :)
Whoa I’m totally smitten over these bars.
Scotcheroos just got better, huh?! :)
These look so amazing, Beth! I’m a sucker for pb and oreos so I couldn’t stop with just one of these!
I don’t know why PB and oreos are such a great combo, but I love it too!