Red Velvet Oreo Bars
VIDEO RECIPE! Learn how to make these red velvet oreo bars!
If you want to make something fun for Valentine’s Day but you don’t have a lot of time or maybe you’re afraid of baking, these red velvet oreo bars are the perfect recipe to pick because they start with a box of red velvet cake mix.
I know it’s still possible to screw up a box mix, but the likelihood is not that great!
First, it’s important to note DO NOT follow the instructions on the box. GASP! Yep.
Take out the cake mix and then recycle the box. Don’t worry, I’ll tell you what to do!
You’ll use one stick of softened butter and 1 egg instead.
Beat the butter until it’s smooth and then beat in the egg. Then you’ll add the red velvet cake mix. Once that’s all mixed together, the batter will be thick. It will not be pourable. You’ll have to press the batter into the prepared pan with your hands. I like to spray my hands with a little bit of non-stick cooking spray to prevent the batter from sticking to my hands while I do this.
Here’s the fun part, push oreos into the batter! Then bake the bars and let them cool completely.
I added chocolate ganache (hot heavy cream + chocolate chips) to the top of my bars, but you could also just add melted chocolate. Sprinkle crushed oreos over the chocolate and allow the bars to set.
I covered mine and placed them in the fridge overnight. But I believe that a few hours in the fridge would do the trick. You could always serve them right away, the chocolate will just be more gooey!
Now, when you go to cut the bars, be sure to pour yourself a large glass of milk ;)
Red Velvet Oreo Bars
Yield: 9x13 inch pan
Total Time: 1 hour
Quick red velvet stuffed oreo bars! The base of the batter starts with a box mix, then add oreos and melted chocolate.This is an easy red velvet Valentine’s Day recipe!
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 box red velvet cake mix, 15.25 oz
- 1 standard package oreos, 14.3 oz
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until smooth, 1 minute. Beat in the egg. Gradually beat in the red velvet cake mix.
- Spray a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Use your hands to press the batter into the pan. It will be thick. Add about 20 oreos to the batter, pressing them in. Bake the bars for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the bars to cool completely.
- Place the chocolate chips in a mixing bowl. Heat the heavy cream in a small pot over low heat on the stove until it begins to boil. Once it starts boiling, pour the heavy cream over the chocolate chips, letting the mixture sit for 2-3 minutes, then stir well to combine.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the bars and top with crushed oreos. Allow the bars to set before cutting. Store in an airtight container.