Want our top 10 essential dessert recipes?
Get our favorite classic recipes in your inbox! It’s 100% free, but we might make you hungry!
Peanut Butter Bars
Throw your hands in the air if you love no bake desserts 🥳
I love no bake desserts for two reasons..
1. they are usually incredibly easy!
2. no oven is needed!
I can see this chocolate peanut butter bars recipe being potentially dangerous if you always have these things on hand! The bars only take 20 minutes to make. But they do need 30 minutes to chill, so the chocolate will set before you cut them.
Chocolate peanut butter bars are easy to make
One thing that I LOVE about this chocolate peanut butter bars recipe in particular is that all of the ingredients are very common. You might even already have them in your pantry without having to go to the store!
No bake peanut butter bars ingredients
- graham crackers
- powdered sugar
- creamy peanut butter
- unsalted butter
- semi-sweet chocolate chips (plus a little vegetable oil for melting)
I like to keep the graham crackers as larger pieces, as opposed to other recipes that will blend the graham crackers into crumbs. I like the crunch it adds!
How to make chocolate peanut butter bars
- Crush or break the graham crackers into smaller pieces. Place them in a mixing bowl with the powdered sugar, no need to mix yet. Set aside.
- Melt butter and peanut butter together on the stove. Pour this over the graham crackers and mix well. Press this mixture into a 9×13 inch pan.
- Melt chocolate to spread over the top of the bars. Allow the chocolate to set for 30 minutes in the fridge. Cut using a sharp knife.
How far in advance can you make chocolate peanut butter bars?
The bars can be made up to 2 days in advance. Keep them in a 9×13 inch pan with a lid on the counter, out of the sun.
Tips for making no bake peanut butter bars
- Use creamy peanut butter, not a natural peanut butter.
- For easy removal & cutting, line the pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Use your fingers to crush and break the graham crackers into smaller pieces. The smaller the pieces, the better the bars will stay together.
- Be sure to press the peanut butter graham cracker mixture firmly into the pan with your hands or the back of a glass cup. Pack it down. If your bars fall apart when you cut them, the graham cracker pieces were probably too large.
More no bake desserts
Subscribe to The First Year newsletter to get our recipes sent to your inbox! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Youtube. If you make this recipe, tag @beth_thefirstyear on instagram!
- 1 stick, 1/2 cup, unsalted butter
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups (1 pack or 9 grahams) graham crackers, broken/crushed into smaller pieces
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips plus 2 tsp vegetable oil or coconut oil to help melt the chips
- Spray or line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper or foil.
- Use your fingers to break or crush the graham crackers into smaller pieces.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and peanut butter together, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the crushed graham crackers, powdered sugar, and peanut butter mixture, mix with a spatula to combine.
- Spread the peanut butter graham cracker mixture evenly into the pan and use your hands or the back of a glass cup to firmly pack the mixture into the pan.
- In a small pot over medium low heat on the stove, combine the chocolate chips and oil, stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted and smooth, may take 3-6 minutes.
- Pour the chocolate over the peanut butter bars.
- Cover the pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until the chocolate is set.
- Remove the bars from the pan using the foil, cut into squares with a sharp knife. Store in an airtight container.