Lemon Angel Food Cake
Ryan has the BEST slicing skills. I can not take credit for those beautifully sliced lemon, that was all him.
If I try to cut a lemon into slices, I only end up with like 4 slices and they are lopsided – thick on one end and thin on the other.. or sometimes there is no other end if I accidentally cut it off.
I’m so glad I asked Ryan to slice them because what would have taken me 30 minutes and a lot of frustration possibly leading to needing to buy more lemons took him 5 minutes and every single slice was the same.
I surely don’t have good knife skills.. but I can decorate a cake! Ryan and I make a good pair and as I always say teamwork is the dream work :)
This is one of the easiest recipes for lemon angel food cake. Instead of using 1 & 1/4 cups water with a box of angel food cake mix – we added extra flavor by substituting 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of International Delight creamer. A little citrus and a little sweetness.
The glaze is only 2 ingredients – powdered sugar and International Delight creamer. Since the angel food cake is lemon-y, I wanted to keep the glaze sweet and not tart.
I have only made angel food cake a few times so it surprised me initially but do NOT grease your angel food cake pan! The grease will prevent the cake from rising because it won’t be able to stick to the sides.
Plus removing an angel food cake from it’s pan is simple. After the cake is done baking, allow the cake to cool upside down in the pan – that’s why the center of the pan is taller than the sides.
Once the cake is room temperature, use a small flat metal spatula and run the knife along the edges of the pan. Remove the outside or “sides” of the pan – the cake will still be connected to the inside tube. Run the spatula along the bottom of the pan and the cake should release.
I’d recommend an angel food cake pan with a removable bottom for ease and convenience.
To make this lemon angel food cake rustic, add sliced lemons on the top of the cake and garnish with baby’s breath and thyme.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of International Delight. The opinions and text are all mine.
Lemon Angel Food Cake
Yield: one standard size angel food cake
Total Time: 2 hours
Angel Food Cake
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp International Delight Sweet Cream creamer
- 1 cup water
- 1 box angel food cake mix
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup International Delight Sweet Cream creamer
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a mixing bowl, add the lemon juice, International Delight creamer, and water. Gradually add in the angel food cake mix, mixing first with a spatula.
- Beat the angel food cake mix for 60 seconds with an electric mixer on medium.
- Pour the batter into an UNGREASED angel food cake pan.
- Bake for 43-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool upside down in the pan.
- Once the cake is room temperature, use a small flat metal spatula and run it along the edges of the pan. Also run the spatula along the bottom of the pan.
- Release the cake from the pan and place on a serving plate.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the powered sugar and International Delight creamer, mix well with a spatula.
- Pour the glaze over the cake, allowing it to fall down the sides of the cake.
- Optional - Garnish with lemon slices, baby's breath and thyme.
- Slice and serve.