Want our top 10 essential dessert recipes?
Get our favorite classic recipes in your inbox! It’s 100% free, but we might make you hungry!
Do you ever feel like you haven’t met a cookie you didn’t like?
Yeah, me too!
But I also don’t go putting weird things in my cookies.. healthy things like spinach or raisins.
I actually love raisins, but usually in my oatmeal. I suppose I can’t write off raisins in cookies yet because I haven’t tried my hand at oatmeal raisin cookies. Maybe I could even eat them for breakfast :)
But today it’s all about the cowboy cookie!
I have zero explanations as to why their called cowboy cookies. I even looked online and everyone is pretty stumped. But it’s a recipe that’s been passed on so the name has stuck.
These cookies are like a supped up chocolate chip oatmeal cookie because in addition to chocolate chips and oats, there’s also shredded coconut and chopped pecans.
Who knew there was room for all that in a single cookie?! I’m here to tell you there is definitely room and that it one AWESOME flavor combination.
The cookie base is pretty standard where you beat the butter and sugars together, adding eggs and Rodelle Vanilla Extract, then adding in the dry ingredients. Then the best part (!!!!) 1 & 1/2 cups oats, 1 & 1/2 cups chocolate chips, 3/4 cup shredded coconut, and 1 cup chopped pecans. Folks, that’s almost 5 cups of mix-ins!
I like to combine all the mix-ins in a separate bowl, then reserve 1 cup of the mix-ins to use on top of the cookies. The rest gets mixed into the cookie batter.
I use a cookie scoop to scoop the batter into even balls and then roll the balls in the reserved mix-ins, pressing the mix-ins in slightly so they stay and bake onto the top of the cookie. This part is 100% optional, you could totally skip it and just put all the mix-ins into the batter.
This is the kind of recipe that you’ll make again and again – they are well loved!
I created this recipe in partnership with Rodelle. Thank you for supporting the brands who make it possible for me to share recipes with you!
Yield: 2 dozen
Total Time: 30 minutes
Cowboy cookies are one of the BEST cookies I’ve ever had! They are loaded with oats, chocolate chips, coconut and pecans, plus require no chilling!
- 1 & 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 & 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut flakes
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 & 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened (1 & 1/2 sticks)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tbsp Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. In a smaller mixing bowl, combine the mix-is - the quick cooking oats, chocolate chips, shredded coconut and chopped pecans. Set aside.
- In a separate smaller mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes, until fluffy. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, mixing with a spatula just until there are small flour streaks left - it’s okay if the batter has clumps!
- Reserve 1 cup of the mix-ins, mix the rest into the batter. Use a cookie scoop to form dough balls, rolling the balls in the reserved mix-ins and pressing the mix-ins in slightly.
- Place the cookies onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes or until the edges are set. Allow the cookies to cool on the sheet for 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.