Classic Monster Cookies
Here’s my take on why monster cookies are SO good.
First, I like oatmeal in my cookies. I like the chewy texture it adds!
Second, you can pretty much substitute any add-ins you want!
Our recipe calls for 1/2 cup m&ms and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. But you could use:
peanut butter chips
chopped pretzel pieces
white chocolate chips
reese’s peanut butter cup pieces
chocolate covered raisins
Just think of all of the combinations! Plus you don’t have to stick to 1/2 cup of one thing and 1/2 cup of another – however you want to divvy up the 1 cup of add-ins is up to you!
You also don’t need to use a whole cup of add-ins. I (shockingly) prefer my cookies to be on the less loaded side.. I’m the kind of person who would be 100% happy eating chocolate chips cookies without the chocolate chips :)
So we’re sharing the classic monster cookie recipe with you, but feel free to make it your own!
The cookies shown in the photos are on the larger size, I used a heaping cookie scoop full per cookie. And I really mean heaping. For reference the scoop I own is the KitchenAid Gourment Scoop. It’s not large and it’s not small, it looks like your average cookie scoop.
I always like to add some additional m&ms or add-ins to the outside of each dough ball before baking, I feel like they look more appealing when you can see some of that goodness on the outside!
For a step-by-step of how to make this monster cookie recipe, watch this short video:
Classic Monster Cookies
Yield: 12-16 cookies
Total Time:1 hour
Classic monster cookies with oatmeal, chocolate chips, and m&ms! Plus lots of ideas for additional add-ins! These are chewy & soft and you can make them BIG or small!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup m&ms (plus additional for pressing on outside of cookie - optional)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (plus additional for pressing on outside of cookie - optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream together the butter, brown sugar and sugar with an electric mixer, 1-2 minutes. Add in the creamy peanut butter, vanilla and egg, beat again.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Add in the quick oats, M&Ms and chocolate chips, mix until combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to form large dough balls (my cookie scoop was heaping with dough) and place on a silicone lined baking sheet. Press additional m&ms or chocolate chips into the balls if desired. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden. Allow the cookies to cool for 5-7 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.