Want our top 10 essential dessert recipes?
Get our favorite classic recipes in your inbox! It’s 100% free, but we might make you hungry!
Rainbow Sugar Cookies
I did it again.
I sorted fruity pebbles by color.
The last time I sorted fruity pebbles by color I made these ridiculously cute rainbow donuts , now I came up with these crazy delicious Rainbow Sugar Cookies!
How to Make Rainbow Sugar Cookies
The first time around, my brain some how must have forgotten that fruity pebbles come in one large jumbled box of colorfulness, not neatly pre-sorted by color.
But this time, I knew what I was in for. I simply had to sort the fruity pebbles by color :) So I pulled out my muffin pan, the box of fruity pebbles, put on a tv show, and kindly asked my husband to help me sort. He agreed, and I love him very much for it :)
I found that it’s easiest to sort the fruity pebbles by color using a muffin pan – that way you don’t have to have 6 different plates or bowls out. It’s also highly encouraged to periodically eat handfuls of fruity pebbles. This will help keep you sane while sorting!
Rainbow Sugar Cookies
You will need a rainbow cookie cutter to make rainbow sugar cookies. This is the cookie cutter I used, I ordered it from CookieCutter.com. You could also use a rainbow cookie cutter that doesn’t have any clouds on the end, like this one or something similar.
Assembling these yummy Rainbow Sugar Cookies is pretty simple. Once all of the cookies are cooled, spread some icing on them and begin to add the fruity peebles in rainbow order. Add the shredded coconut for the clouds last.
I created this Rainbow Sugar Cookies recipe in partnership with the Fruity Pebbles. As always, all opinions are my own, and thank you for supporting the organizations that make it possible for me to continue to provide quality content to you!
Rainbow Sugar Cookies
Yield: 15-20 cookies
Total Time:2 hours 30 minutes
- 1 & 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 & 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Fruity Pebbles, sorted by color
- Shredded coconut
- In a mixing bowl beat the butter until it’s fluffy using an electric mixer. Add in the sugar and beat until it’s combined with the butter, it will be fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla, beat until combined again, 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the baking powder and about 1/3 of the flour. Mix slowly until the flour is just combined. Continuing adding the flour until it’s all incorporated. If the dough seems too sticky, add 1 tbsp of flour at a time until the dough isn’t overly sticky to the touch.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal balls. Flatten them into disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Once the dough is done chilling, begin to roll one disk of dough out. On a lightly floured silicone baking mat or piece of parchment paper roll the dough out to about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch thick, depending on your preference.
- Place the rolled dough in the freezer for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- After 15 minutes, remove the dough from the freezer and begin to cut out your shapes using a cookie cutter. Place the cut out cookies on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper and chill in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Bake the cookies for 9-10 minutes, rotating the pan half way through. The cookies should be light in color when you pull them out of the oven.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Repeat this process with the remaining dough, including the scraps of the first batch, until all of the dough is gone.
- In a bowl, beat the vegetable shortening with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla, mix until well combined.
TO ASSEMBLE THE COOKIES
- Using a butter knife or spreader, spread the icing onto a rainbow cookie. Begin to add the Fruity Pebbles at the top of the cookie, beginning with red and going forward with orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Once all of the Fruity Pebbles are on the cookie, place shredded coconut where the clouds are. Repeat this process until all of the cookies are decorated. Store in an airtight container.