This is our final recipe for Pineapple Week! If you missed the previous recipes, get our recipe for pineapple upside down monkey bread here and our recipe for pineapple cookies here.
Guys.. I couldn’t help myself. The pineapple cookies I shared on Tuesday were just too cute so I had to incorporate them into another recipe somehow. The pineapple cookies are obviously way more jazzy than the pineapple cupcakes, but I promise that both are bursting with pineapple flavor, so you can still make the pineapple cupcakes without having to top them with the pineapple cookies – they’ll still have you dreaming of a tropical paradise!
I don’t think anyone is ever too old to request a theme for their birthday party, so convince your family you want to do a pineapple theme, that way you’ll have a chance to sample both the cupcakes and cookies and maybe even a cookie on top of a cupcake :) If you’re really getting excited about having a pineapple party, you should see these fun pineapple plates and pineapple napkins.
You could easily top the pineapple cupcakes with a slice of pineapple, with dried pineapple pieces or with these fun pineapple cupcake picks I spotted on Etsy.
A few notes on the recipe: If you use crushed pineapple, make sure you drain it before adding it to the cupcake batter. I drained mine pretty well by using the lid from the can to push the pineapple down draining off any excess liquid. For the buttercream, our recipe calls for pureed pineapple. It is essential to puree the pineapple really well otherwise you’ll have pineapple chunks clogging up your piping tip. I put some chopped up pineapple (or crushed pineapple) with a little bit of pineapple juice in a blender and pureed it until smooth.
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick butter, melted and cooled (1/2 cup)
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup crushed pineapple, drained well or fresh pineapple chopped into small pieces
- 1 stick butter, room temperature (1/2 cup)
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 6 tbsp pureed pineapple
- 3-5 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Whisk and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, melted butter, vanilla, and sour cream until combined. Add in the drained crushed pineapple, and mix well.
- Slowly add half of the flour mixture to the liquid, stirring to combine. Repeat with the rest of the flour mixture.
- Divide the batter among a muffin pan lined with muffin liners, fill the muffin cups to be about 1/2 full.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the room temperature butter and shortening, beat using an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add in the pineapple puree and mix.
- Begin to add in the powdered sugar, about 1 cup at a time. Slowly beat the mixture until the powered sugar is incorporated. Continue this process, adding enough powdered sugar to make sure the frosting isn't too wet. I like to mix the buttercream by hand first, then use an electric mixer.
- Transfer a portion of the frosting to a piping bag with fit a piping tip (I used wilton #2D). Push or squeeze the frosting down, getting rid of any air pockets.
- Begin to pipe the frosting onto a cupcake, starting with the outside edge and working your way into the center of the cupcake, progressively stacking the frosting as you go around in circles.
- Top the cupcakes with pineapple cookies, pineapple slices, or dried pineapple pieces.
I love pineapple and I bet the pureed pineapple in the batter made the cupcakes so moist. Love these, Beth!
I love how much pineapple flavor you packed into these cupcakes!
We’re not messing around! :)
LOVE that you topped these with the pineapple cookies- too cute! :)
SO yum!!!! Looks like the perfect Summer treat!
Yes! Pineapple Birthday party!!! Totally into it. And these cupcakes.
Invite me if you have one, okay?!
Darn right those cookies are cute!! I am glad to see pineapple worked into a cupcake/cake recipe. I am always worried about using pineapple because of its acidic levels (and tendency to curdle things.)
Well, it took a few tries! Definitely having too much liquid from the pineapple will make them cave in the middle!
How do you make the pineapple puree
Okay these are so SUPER cute! I bet they taste amazing!
The crazy ideas we come up with Julianne.. :)
Everything you made is just so darn cute!! Love those cookies and these cupcakes sound just like summer. Reminds me I need to take a tropical break asap! Loving all this pineapple. :) Pinned!!
Thanks friend! :)
I’m loving pineapple week! These cupcakes are just as cute as those cookies! I can’t decide which one I’d want to eat first!
I know, tough choice!!
This is too adorable! So perfect for this time of year! They’re like a mini tropical vacation!
A little sunshine and a pineapple cupcake could do us all a little good!
These lovey pineapple cookies look just perfect on the top of the cupcakes. Look forward to having them up on my Christmas tree:) Nice job!
Hahaha, now I can’t wait for christmas!
I love that you used your pineapple cookies to top the cupcakes! They are WAY too cute to not use again! These cupcakes are so summery, I want to eat about 5 right now!!
How much frosting do you get out of this recipe?
Hi Daisy! You’ll have enough frosting to frost 12 cupcakes!
These cupcakes look and sound amazing straight to top of the recipes I just try list – as a cookie baker the pineapple cookies are also added to the list! Adorable :)
I just made a double batch! YUM!!! I highly recommend using fresh pineapple!!!! I can’t wait to take them to an engagement party night!!
Oh yum! Can I come?!
Is one stick of butter 1 cup? The butter I always buy comes in 1/2 cup sticks so I always get confused!
Hi Jessica! One stick is 1/2 cup, so you’ll need 2 sticks for 1 cup. It took me forever to get it down!
These look amazing! Has anyone used all butter (no crisco) in the frosting?
Hi Steph! I’ve definitely made buttercream with all butter, it might require more powdered sugar to give it to stability, but it will work great!
Yummm! These are so moist and light and just like you bit into a tropical vacation.
If I were to use all butter for the buttercream how much more would I use?
Hi Kimberley! You can replace the shortening with the same amount of butter!
I’ve made these cupcakes before and they were such a hit! I’ve currently been looking for a recipe like this but for a cake not cupcakes, and they all just don’t seem right. I was wondering if this recipe would work if I baked it in cake pans? Thank you in advance, and this really is an amazing recipe!
Hi Danielle! You can use any white or vanilla cake recipe and turn it into a pineapple cake by decorating with buttercream! Here is our favorite vanilla cake recipe: https://thefirstyearblog.com/doctored-up-white-cake-mix/