Funfetti Cake Roll
Ryan walked in the door and I brought this cake roll over to him and asked “Are there too many sprinkles?”
He laughed. If you’re going to make FUNFETTI anything there’s gotta be sprinkles! While adults might not love sprinkles as much as kids do, you don’t have to load your funfetti cake roll with as many sprinkles as I did – that’s the beauty of sprinkles!
Cake rolls are relatively new for me. I made my first one, this awesome galaxy cake roll covered in black chocolate ganache and lots of fun sprinkles, about a year ago. I’ll pass on a few tips I’ve learned to show you that they aren’t complicated to make!
1. You’ll need a jelly roll pan which is 10×15 inches.
2. Spray your pan with non-stick cooking spray and then place parchment paper over the spray. Make sure the parchment paper hangs off the edges a bit. You don’t want your parchment paper to be too short, otherwise your cake roll might get stuck to the pan.
3. Bake the cake roll for 12-13 minutes, avoid over baking over the cake roll or it will be more prone to cracking. Then immediately turn the cake roll onto a towel that is sprinkled with powdered sugar. Roll the cake around the towel and place it on a rack to cool completely.
4. Once the cake is cooled, unroll the towel. Spread the filling over the cake roll, leaving about a 1/2 inch gap around the edges. Roll the cake roll back up and place it on a tray, seam side down, in the fridge to chill. The longer you let it chill, the easier it will be to slice.
5. Pour the ganache over the cake and allow that to cool in the fridge before slicing.
Our short video recipe below will walk you through how to make a cake roll, but I also included a lot of process photos for how to make a cake roll in the galaxy cake roll recipe.
I used International Delight french vanilla creamer in this recipe to add sweetness and a nice vanilla flavor. I love International Delight because it’s super versatile and you can use it in a lot of recipes, in addition to in your coffee! See all of our International Delight recipes.
Visit International Delight to sign up to receive new offers, recipes and delightful surprises in your email all year long.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of International Delight. The opinions and text are all mine.
For a step-by-step of how to make this funfetti cake roll recipe, watch this short video:
Funfetti Cake Roll
Yield: 1 cake roll
Total Time:3 hours
The ULTIMATE funfetti cake roll! A vanilla cake paired with a cream cheese frosting. Add as many sprinkles as you like!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp International Delight french vanilla creamer
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup jimmies sprinkles
- 4 oz, 1/2 package, cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups cool whip
White Chocolate Ganache
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 & 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- Jimmie sprinkles for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a jelly roll pan (15x10) with parchment paper and spray the paper with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix and set aside. In a larger mixing bowl, beat all 4 eggs on high with an electric mixer for 3 minutes. The eggs will turn pale yellow. Continuing beating the mixture as you slowly add the sugar. Add in the vegetable oil, International Delight creamer, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla, beat lightly. Spoon in the flour mixture and sprinkles, mixing until it’s just incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, using a spatula to smooth the batter to the edges.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes or until the cake is springy to the touch. Note: while baking lay a towel on a flat surface. Dust BOTH sides of the towel with a generous amount of powered sugar. This is to prevent the cake from sticking to the towel.
- Once the cake is done baking, immediately turn it over onto the towel. Roll the cake around the towel. Place the rolled up cake on a rack to cool completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar until fluffy with an electric mixer, 1-2 minutes. Add in the cool whip and mix gently with a spatula.
- Once the cake is completely cool, unroll the towel. Spread the filling over the cake roll, leaving about a 1/2 inch gap around the edges. Roll the cake roll back up and place it on a tray, seam side down, in the fridge to chill. The longer you let it chill the easier it will be to slice.
WHITE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Place the white chocolate chips in a medium heat-proof bowl. In a small pot over low heat, heat the heavy whipping cream until just before boiling. Pour the heavy cream over the white chocolate chips. Allow the mixture to stand for 1-2 minutes. Use a spatula to stir the mixture until smooth. Allow the ganache to come to room temperature before adding it to the cake.
- To add the ganache, place the cake roll on a rack, pour the ganache over the cake and use a spoon or spatula to cover up any areas that don’t have chocolate. Allow the chocolate to firm up slightly before adding the sprinkles. Return to the fridge to chill for 20 minutes before slicing. Slice and serve. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.