Want our top 10 essential dessert recipes?
Get our favorite classic recipes in your inbox! It’s 100% free, but we might make you hungry!
Easy Oreo Cupcakes
These easy oreo cupcakes may just be the best thing that’s ever happened to oreos. It’s not just an oreo cupcake – it’s a cupcake with a whole oreo baked into the bottom and then it’s topped with homemade oreo frosting!
Does it sound good? Because, trust me, it’s really good. And here’s my favorite part… it’s easy to make!
What is an easy oreo cupcake?
I consider an easy cupcake to be one that starts with a box mix. Box cake mixes are great and very handy, plus they can be transformed into bakery style cupcakes with a few extra ingredients. You are essentially doctoring up the cake mix!
Easy oreo bottom cupcake ingredients
- 1 box of white cake mix
- all purpose flour
- egg whites
- skim milk
- sour cream
How to make vanilla oreo cupcakes with oreo on the bottom
- Line a muffin pan with liners. Place a whole oreo into the bottom of each cup.
- Prepare the doctored up white cake mix by combining all the cake ingredients into one bowl and mix with a hand mixer.
- Scoop the cake batter into the muffin pan, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake until done.
Oreo frosting ingredients
- unsalted butter
- powdered sugar
- oreo crumbs
- vanilla extract
How to make oreo frosting tips
If you will be piping the frosting onto the cupcakes through a piping tip that has a small opening or a star shape, be sure to blend the oreos really well that go into the frosting. If you don’t blend the oreos well, the oreo pieces will get stuck in your piping tip and the frosting will not pipe nicely.
Recommended frosting piping supplies
A quick alternative to a piping bag would be a quart or gallon sized ziplock bag.
What brand of cake mix should I use to make doctored up oreo cupcakes?
I prefer Duncan Hines cake mixes, as do a lot of food bloggers, plus Wilton recommends Duncan Hines and Wilton is a cake powerhouse.
How many cupcakes do you get from a box of cake mix
For this specific recipe I was able to make 30 regular sized cupcakes. I like to fill my cupcake liners 3/4 full.
More Cupcake Recipes
Subscribe to The First Year newsletter to get our recipes sent to your inbox! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Youtube. If you make this recipe, tag @beth_thefirstyear on instagram!
- 1 package oreos
- 1 box white cake mix, 15.25 oz
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sour cream
Oreo Frosting (this makes enough frosting for 30 cupcakes)
- 4 sticks (2 cups) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup finely blended oreos (cream and all)
- 1/2 tbsp milk, if the frosting becomes too thick
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Line a muffin pan with liners and place a whole oreo in the bottom of each one. This recipe makes about 30 cupcakes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cake mix, sugar, flour, salt, egg whites, milk, buttermilk, and sour cream, beat with an electric mixer until combined, 2-3 minutes.
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before adding the frosting
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter and vanilla extract, beat using an electric mixer until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Begin to add the powdered sugar, about 1 cup at a time, so the powdered sugar doesn’t explode everywhere. Continue adding powdered sugar until the frosting is well mixed. Add in the finely blended oreos (I like to call it "oreo flour") and lightly blend one last time. If the frosting becomes too thick at any point, add in a dash of milk.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag fit with your desired tip. Be sure to push the buttercream down into the bag, and twist the top a few times to secure the bag. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. Top each cupcake with an oreo if desired. Store in an air tight container for up to 3 days.