Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Easy 5 ingredient cinnamon cream cheese frosting upgrades any cake, cupcakes, or sugar cookie bars! Make cinnamon frosting in one bowl in just 5 minutes!
The tangy cream cheese and butter combination in this frosting recipe, paired with the warmth of cinnamon, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar, creates the perfect balance of sweet and spicy, creamy and absolutely delicious.
I recently used it to top my churro cupcake recipe, which you just have to try! This is the perfect frosting for so many different desserts. Think easy cinnamon roll casserole or cinnamon roll cupcakes topped with this delicious cinnamon cream cheese frosting!
Plain cream cheese frosting is an absolute favorite baking staple of mine, but adding cinnamon is one of my favorite new twists! Plus, making homemade cream cheese frosting is so much easier than you might think. This frosting would add a special touch to a traditional cake, like a vanilla layer cake or a rich chocolate brownie. It’s perfect as a filling for cinnamon rolls or a sweet dip for fresh apples.
Now that you probably want to top and dip everything in cinnamon cream cheese frosting, let’s get to the details!
Why You’ll Love This Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Made with just a handful of ingredients.
- Made in just 1 bowl for less mess.
- Pairs wonderfully with a variety of cakes and cupcakes.
- It can be made in advance and refrigerated until ready to use.
What You’ll Need for This Recipe
This easy recipe takes regular cream cheese frosting to the next level. Get the full measurements in the recipe card below.
- Cream cheese: make sure to allow time for the cream cheese to come to room temperature.
- Unsalted butter: be sure to allow time for softening the butter.
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Ground cinnamon
How to Make Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Making this sweet cream cheese frosting is easy! Whether you’re making pumpkin cupcakes, apple cake or any of your favorite fall desserts, this frosting has full and rich flavors that elevate anything it’s used on. Keep scrolling to get the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card below.
Mix butter and cream cheese. Place room temperature unsalted butter and cream cheese in a medium bowl. Use an electric mixer on medium and beat together for 1-2 minutes, until whipped and fluffy.
Add remaining ingredients. Add in the vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and cinnamon to the mixing bowl, beat again on low for 1-2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until everything is incorporated.
Thin if necessary. If the frosting is too thick, add a splash of milk or heavy cream, beat until creamy.
Apply frosting. Use a piping bag to apply the frosting to cakes and cupcakes.
Tips for the Best Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Soften cream cheese and butter. Make sure to use room temperature ingredients. If you don’t, you could end up with lumpy frosting.
- Don’t overwhip your frosting. Overwhipping could cause it to get too runny. If this happens, add a small amount of powdered sugar until it thickens, but beware, the more you add, the sweeter the frosting will be.
- Whip it good! If you don’t have an electric mixer, you can mix this cinnamon cream cheese icing by hand with a whisk. This will take a little more effort, but it may be easier to prevent overwhipping your frosting this way.
Best Way to Store Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Cinnamon cream cheese frosting can be left out at room temperature for up to 8 hours. After that, it will need to be refrigerated. Making your frosting ahead of time is a great way to time to save time on your baking day! Put your cinnamon frosting in an airtight container and save it in the refrigerator for up to one week. Once it’s been in the fridge for a little while, it will thicken up considerably. Before using it, you’ll need to bring it back to room temperature and whip it real quick with an electric mixer.
If you want to make a large batch and freeze it, you can do that too! Make sure it’s in a freezer safe bag first, and store it in the freezer for several months. When you’re ready to use it, thaw it out and re-whip it before use.
More Frosting Recipes
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened, 1/2 cup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Place room temperature unsalted butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer on medium and beat together for 1-2 minutes, until whipped and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and cinnamon, beat again on low for 1-2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until everything is incorporated.
- If the frosting is too thick, add a splash of milk or heavy cream, beat until creamy.
- Use the frosting on cake and cupcakes.