Brown Sugar Pound Cake
I was suppose to take last week off. Have a little vacation from work, but my decision to take some time off was very last minute and I didn’t prepare well or plan ahead so I kind of took a half vacation.
There were some things I still needed to tend to, like writing this post (hi future beth!).
Planning to take time off is stressful in itself! In the past 5 years I haven’t taken a real vacation, I’m always trying to squeeze social media in here or write a post there. Especially when you’re the boss and your only coworker is your cat, you have to hustle all. the. time.
But I am SO excited for fall and the next few weeks because we’ll be bringing our puppy home! And I am sure this little guy will keep me busy and maybe he’ll pull me away for a little vacation.
This recipe officially kicks off our fall recipes for the year and I know fall is just around the corner because I can see a few red leaves already outside my office window.
This brown sugar pound cake is so comforting and delicious. It’s a good fall dessert to enjoy with a cup of coffee or dare I say a PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE. But if I’m being honest, I’m not a huge PSL addict, but I do enjoy a nice pumpkin candle!
You could skip the glaze on this sweet thing, but why would you?
It’s easy to make, with limited hands on time. If you need to substitute the buttermilk for milk, you can do that, though for a richer and creamier flavor we do love the buttermilk!
For a step-by-step of how to make this brown sugar pound cake recipe, watch this short video:
- 2 & 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and sugar using an electric mixer. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. Gradually add the flour and baking powder, alternating with the buttermilk, mix by hand until incorporated.
- Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan (angel food cake pan) then pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the pound cake to cool in the pan (not inverted). Remove the cake from the pan and place on a large plate.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the glaze. In a medium pot over medium heat, bring the butter, brown sugar and milk to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. Add in the vanilla extract, and whisk in the powdered sugar until the glaze is thick. Pour the glaze over the pound cake. Cut and serve.