Brown Sugar Pound Cake
This rich and comforting brown sugar pound cake is a staple in our family! We bring it to potlucks and neighborhood parties!
I was suppose to take last week off. Have a little vacation from work, but my decision to take some time off was very last minute and I didn’t prepare well or plan ahead so I kind of took a half vacation.
There were some things I still needed to tend to, like writing this post (hi future beth!).
Planning to take time off is stressful in itself! In the past 5 years I haven’t taken a real vacation, I’m always trying to squeeze social media in here or write a post there. Especially when you’re the boss and your only coworker is your cat, you have to hustle all. the. time.
This brown sugar pound cake is so comforting and delicious. It’s a good fall dessert to enjoy with a cup of coffee or dare I say a PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE. But if I’m being honest, I’m not a huge PSL addict, but I do enjoy a nice pumpkin candle!
You could skip the glaze on this sweet thing, but why would you?
It’s easy to make, with limited hands on time. If you need to substitute the buttermilk for milk, you can do that, though for a richer and creamier flavor we do love the buttermilk!
- Properly measure the all purpose flour using the spoon and level method.
- Use room temperature butter for easier creaming of the butter and sugar.
- Baking instructions are for an angel food cake pan. If you use a bundt pan, the bake time may be slightly different.
- I’ve made this pound cake multiple times with King Arthur’s Gluten Free Measure for Measure Flour with great success.
Total Time Required
- 10 minutes to prep the batter
- 65-75 minutes to bake
- 30-60 minutes to cool the cake
- 5 minutes to prep the glaze
For a step-by-step of how to make this brown sugar pound cake recipe, watch this short video:
More Dessert Recipes
Subscribe to The First Year newsletter to get our recipes sent to your inbox! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Youtube. If you make this recipe, tag @beth_thefirstyear on instagram!
- 2 & 1/2 sticks (1 & 1/4 cups) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk (I used skim)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and sugar using an electric mixer. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. Gradually add the flour and baking powder, alternating with the buttermilk, mix by hand until incorporated.
- Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan (angel food cake pan) then pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the pound cake to cool in the pan (not inverted). Remove the cake from the pan and place on a large plate.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the glaze. In a medium pot over medium heat, bring the butter, brown sugar and milk to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. Add in the vanilla extract, and whisk in the powdered sugar until the glaze is thick. Pour the glaze over the pound cake. Cut and serve.