Reese’s Peanut Butter Football Cups
I am not a football person. at all.
First, the games are so long. And slow.
The football players are huge but play with this tiny ball that you can never see because they are always cuddling it.
And there are so many people on the field I don’t know who to pay attention to.
Sometimes I secretly wish I liked football because there seems to be good comradery. And it’s like you belong to a community who share a common interest.
Plus if I liked football, maybe I would get to eat more football type food. So that’s always a bonus.
Every year when Super Bowl rolls around, instead of caring what which teams are playing, I usually only care about who’s performing during half time and what food I’ll be making.
Men probably don’t care about the game day menu as long as there is food, but women like to put a little more thought into it. Sporting the team colors in your spread or having football themed treats can add to the fun and it’s something people easily remember about that day.
How to Make Reese’s Peanut Butter Football Cups
These reese’s peanut butter football cups add a lot of football flare to your game day table and are very easy to make!
You’ll need mini reese’s peanut butter cups, green buttercream/frosting, almonds, and royal icing.
For these Reese’s Peanut Butter Football Cups plan to make the football almonds first, and you could even make them a few days in advance. I recommend using a squeeze bottle to add the royal icing stitches to the almonds. Squeeze bottles are cheap to buy and are great for decorating cookies too.
Next you’ll want to make the green buttercream. You can follow our recipe below to make your own frosting or you can buy store bought frosting and simply add green food coloring.
If you want your buttercream to have a grass like appearance you’ll need a grass piping tip. This is a pretty common tip that you could find at Walmart or Michaels.
The last step is about putting it all together. Unwrap the reese’s (you could leave the liners or take them off), pipe on the green grass, and add a football almond.
A very easy and fun football themed treat!
For a step-by-step of how to make this Reese’s Peanut Butter Football Cups, watch this short video:
Reese's Peanut Butter Football Cups
These reese’s peanut butter football cups are the easiest game treat! You need peanut butter cups, green frosting and football almonds!
Reese's mini peanut butter cups
- 1/2 stick butter, soft
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 to 1 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar (or more to get the right consistency)
- green food coloring
Football almonds - whole almonds and small batch of royal icing:
- whole almonds
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp meringue powder
- 1/2 tbsp water
- Combine the powdered sugar, meringue powder, and water in a mixing bowl and mix until the icing has a matte appearance, about 2 minutes. You may need to add a little more water to get the right consistency. You don’t want the icing to be runny, but have a thicker consistency, but you don’t want it to be too thick where you can’t get it out of the squeeze bottle. Transfer to a squeeze bottle or ziploc bag with one corner cut off.
- On each almond draw the center football stripe.
- Allow the royal icing to harden, 5-10 minutes before adding the football stitches. Draw 3 stitches on each almond.
- Allow the royal icing to harden completely before adding the footballs to the reese's cups.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, beat on low, until everything is incorporated, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the green food coloring and mix until well combined.
- Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag fit with a grass piping tip.
- Unwrap the reese's peanut butter cups (you can leave the liner on or remove it). Pipe green buttercream onto each reese's and top with a football almond. Store in an airtight container on the counter.