Pineapple Walnut Donuts
Things are getting pineapple-y around here! I’m bringing a batch of pineapple walnut donuts to the breakfast table and they are tropical and so good. I’ve been working with pineapple a lot lately which can only mean one thing.. we’re getting ready for Pineapple Week! If you’re a pineapple loving person, hang tight for a few more weeks and get a whole bunch of fresh pineapple ready because I’ll be sharing three recipes all featuring pineapple. But in the mean time, we can enjoy pineapple donuts :)
I’m not sure where the time went, but we’re already settling into the first week in May and it almost caught me off guard. It felt like April took f.o.r.e.v.er. We have this giant wall calendar by our front door and for the whole month of April it was blank, which is rare. About halfway through the month, Ryan and I talked about filling it in, but instead we agreed that there was no point in filling out the calendar because of April showers.. they would just come wash everything away :)
Good thing the calendar has been filled out for the month of May because lots of events are going on – my mom’s birthday, Mother’s day, my middle brother’s birthday, memorial day, and we’re taking a trip to Minnesota. Wow, we have lots of M events going on.. May is going to be a mega month, haha!
These pineapple donuts sound like a good option for any of these celebrations, but they would be especially fun for mother’s day! You could have an entire tropical breakfast complete with hawaiian french toast, pina colada pancakes, and pineapple mango punch. All moms deserve a little trip to the tropics, even if it’s just for one day!
I created this recipe in partnership with the Diamond of California. As always, all opinions are my own, and thank you for supporting the organizations that make it possible for me to continue to provide quality content to you!
Pineapple Walnut Donuts
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp vegetable/canola oil
- 5 heaping tbsp chopped or crushed pineapple, it’s okay it pineapple juice gets in too if using pineapple from a can
- 2 tbsp Diamond of California chopped walnuts
White Chocolate Glaze
- 2 squares vanilla candiquik, OR 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil, OR 3 tbsp heavy cream if using chips
- ¼ cup chopped or crushed pineapple, pureed in blender
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a donut pan with cooking spray, use a paper towel to lightly spread/remove excess spray.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl combine the milk, egg, and oil until well blended. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mix just until combined.
- Add in the pineapple and walnuts and gently fold to combine.
- Transfer the batter to a large piping bag or use a ziploc bag with one corner cut off. Pipe the batter into the donut pan, filling each donut hole about 2/3 full. Alternatively, spoon the batter into the donut pan.
- Bake the donuts for 10-14 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let the donuts sit in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove the donuts from the donut pan and place them on a wire rack to cool.
White Chocolate Glaze
- Melt either the vanilla candiquik and vegetable shortening or white chocolate chips and heavy cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir occasionally until the mixture is melted, about 8 minutes.
- For dipping the donuts, it’s easiest to transfer the glaze to a small shallow dish, but large enough to fit a donut in. While hanging onto the edges of the donut, dip each donut into the chocolate and pause for a few seconds while the donut is upside down to allow to excess to fall off. Place the donuts on a cooling rack.
- Put the chopped or crushed pineapple in a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer the puree to a squeeze bottle and top each donut with pineapple drizzle if desired.
These donuts look so pretty!! Great for a spring breakfast.
And perfect if you want to pretend to be somewhere tropical!
These sound amazing. We have been eating a lot of pineapple lately. Love the walnut for crunch.
Tis the season for pineapple!
The word donut alone gets me all .. drooly and crazed so um, when you add pineapple, all is lost with me until I have one! LOL!
First off, I am proud to say I bought a doughnut pan FINALLY! Secondly, these look amazing! Loving your theme weeks!
Yay!!! Now I want a mini donut pan! Did you buy one of those?
I have a severe donut obsession…so I am loving these Beth. So creative to add pineapple! That white chocolate glaze looks killer! Pinned!
It’s crazy how busy May is compared to April! I’m going to need several of these beauties to get me through it. Love the idea of a pineapple donut!
You are totally right, April wasn’t busy, but now May is!
wow donuts pics are beyond gorgeous and delicious! I truly enchanted, my friend!
Olivia, you are so kind, thank you!
I love how fresh and fruity these sound!! I can not wait for pineapple week!! Whoo Hoo!! Ps good luck with your Mega May!! Sounds like a fun month.
Sounds like everyone is excited for pineapple week!
These look so good Beth! Love pineapple! Have fun in the “M” state!
The best state of all, don’t you think?! :)
Mega May, and mega delicious donuts! These look awesome! I just cut open a fresh pineapple this past weekend – I should have made your donuts!!
Absolutely LOVE this flavor combination, Beth – these sound so good!
I’ve never had a pineapple doughnut, but these look so delicious! They’re so very pretty!
Pretty darn good too!
See, the pineapple makes the donuts healthy :)
You might just be my new best friend ;)
It made me laugh when I came over here and saw you had a recipe posted with walnuts, cause now I’m going to leave you almost the identical comment that you left me! Don’t really care for walnuts, but I love pineapple, so I’m pretty sure I could sub in pecans! :) These doughnuts are super pretty, I love that pineapple drizzle on top!
Yes! I love pecans too!
I’m so excited to read all your posts for pineapple week! We always have one on the counter, and I think I need to whip up some of these beauties!
Does it sit on your counter for decoration?!
Yeay, bring on the pineapple! Beth, these donuts sounds so summery–like tropical paradise in donut form :)
I hope these donuts take everyone who eats them to a tropical paradise!
These are such pretty little donuts, and I love the flavors!!
Your photos are just beyond stunning! I am in awe and totally love these donuts :) Pinning!
Awwww! You made me smile – thank you!
Oh my goodness! I’ve never thought about pineapple doughnuts! These look and sound incredibly delicious.
Thanks Mary :)
How interesting! I’ve never heard of pineapple donuts but I sure am interested in trying one! Plus they look beautiful!
Used pineapple juice in place of milk in recipe also added 1/2 tsp vanilla. Topped with a little powdered sugar/pineapple juice glaze. Very good! (though i was expecting a stronger pineapple flavor)
Thank you for the comment Deborah!