Our funfetti cake recipe is a from scratch white cake that’s been loaded with jimmie sprinkles! It’s the perfect party or birthday cake.
You can add as few or as many sprinkles as you’d like to homemade funfetti cake. I say if you’re making a funfetti cake recipe, go big and add at least 3/4 cup of sprinkles to the batter. Don’t forget to top the frosting with sprinkles!
Homemade Funfetti Cake Ingredients
unsalted butter: adds flavor and tender texture
granulated sugar: adds sweetness and flavor
egg whites: binds the cake together by providing structure – using only egg whites keeps the cake more white in color
vanilla extract: adds that classic vanilla flavor to the cake
sour cream: adds moisture & fat, activates the baking soda
milk: adds moisture
all purpose flour: flour is necessary to build structure
baking soda: helps to leaven and lift the batter
salt: just a pinch to balance the sweetness
jimmie sprinkles: sprinkles are critical in homemade funfetti cake
How to Make Funfetti Cake From Scratch
- Beat the butter and sugar together, 1-2 minutes, until thick and creamy.
- Add in the egg whites, sour cream, milk and vanilla. Beat again until combined.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients and sprinkles, mixing by hand with a spatula.
- Spray a 9×13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the batter into the pan and spread smooth with a spatula.
- Bake then cool completely before adding the frosting.
How Long Does it Take to Make Funfetti Cake?
- 10 minutes to prep the batter
- 33-36 minutes to bake the cake
- 1 hour, at least, to cool the cake
- 15 minutes to make and frost the cake
What Sprinkles to Use for Funfetti Cake
Jimmie sprinkles are the best type of sprinkle to use when making 9 x 13 inch funfetti cake. Jimmie sprinkles are the long, skinny “hot dog” shape sprinkle.
I do not recommend using nonpareils, the small round ball sprinkles, because their color tends to bleed during baking.
After much searching, I found that Walmart’s Great Value brand jimmie sprinkles are the best looking sprinkles because the colors are bright and the sprinkle mixture doesn’t contain brown sprinkles. I don’t want brown sprinkles because they don’t look appealing!
Frosting for Confetti Cake
The frosting options are endless. Follow the vanilla frosting provided in the recipe card or try..
Can this recipe be made into cupcakes?
We converted this recipe for you! Our funfetti cupcake recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
Tips for Making Funfetti Cake
- Properly measure the all purpose flour using the spoon and sweep method.
- Use room temperature butter for easier creaming of the butter and sugar.
- Use jimmie sprinkles
- Combine the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until they are combined. Over mixing could lead to dry, dense cake.
Subscribe to The First Year newsletter to get our recipes sent to your inbox! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Youtube. If you make this recipe, tag @beth_thefirstyear on instagram!
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 & 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 & 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 & 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup jimmies sprinkles (the long ones, not the ball ones)
- 3 sticks (1 & 1/2 cups) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- jimmie sprinkles, to top the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl combine the butter and sugar, beat using an electric mixer, 1-2 minutes until fluffy.
- Add in the egg whites, sour cream, milk, and vanilla extract. Beat with the electric mixer.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt and sprinkles.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing by hand with a spatula just until the flour is incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 30-37 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before adding the frosting.
- In a mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla extract and 2 cups of powdered sugar, mix again.
- Add in more powdered sugar (up to 2 more cups) as you see fit. Add a dash of milk if the frosting becomes too thick.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled cake. Add sprinkles. Cut and serve. Store in an air tight container on the counter for up to 3 days.
Turn this recipe into funfetti cupcakes.