Want our top 10 essential dessert recipes?
Get our favorite classic recipes in your inbox! It’s 100% free, but we might make you hungry!
Chocolate Pumpkin Magic Cake
We’re on a pumpkin chocolate roll and let’s keep it going! Anyone else agree that pumpkin and chocolate are so good together?! While everyone is crazy about the PSL, I think Starbuck’s should offer a pumpkin mocha! I bet it’s on their secret menu.
While I love sharing over the top recipes (like this confetti cake) I realize not everyone (me included!) always has the time to make a 3 layer cake covered in buttercream. Sometimes it’s much easier and more practical to make a 9×13 inch cake, plus this cake pretty much does all the work itself!
It’s a magic cake because the layers magically know what to do while baking in the oven. I like to think of this cake recipe as an equivalent to a crock pot dinner recipe. Something is doing the work and it’s not you and it’s totally magical.
This easy chocolate pumpkin magic cake has one really fun ingredient! If you are a pumpkin lover or a big fan of pumpkin spice, you’ll understand my excitement over Rodelle’s new Pumpkin Spice Extract!! Now I really can add a little bit of pumpkin spice flavor to EVERYTHING!
**GIVEAWAY IS OVER!! **To celebrate the start of baking season, we’re teaming up with Rodelle to give away a basket filled with our favorite baking supplies!
One reader will win a bottle of pumpkin spice extract, vanilla extract, chocolate extract, a container of cocoa powder, and a jar of vanilla beans! To enter the giveaway, leave a comment on this post letting me know what you’re looking forward to baking this season! The giveaway will close Wednesday November 11th 2015 and the winner will be notified via e-mail.
I’m also excited to share that I’ll be partnering with Rodelle as a brand ambassador! I’ll be using their products in some of my recipes, and I hope you try out their products because you’ll love them!
Chocolate Pumpkin Magic Cake
Yield: one 9x13 inch cake
Total Time:2 hours
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp Rodelle Pumpkin Spice Extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- Chocolate cake mix plus the ingredients on the box to make it, typically 3 eggs, 1/3 cup oil, 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven 350º F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- Prepare the chocolate cake mix according to the instructions. Most likely the recipe will call for 3 eggs, 1/3 cup oil, and 1 cup water. Pour the cake mix into the pan.
- In a separate bowl mix together the pumpkin puree, eggs, evaporated milk, pumpkin spice extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and brown sugar until smooth.
- Evenly pour the pumpkin mixture over the chocolate cake mixture.
- Bake the cake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool to room temperature before serving. You can also refrigerator the cake over night and serve it cold. Cut and serve the cake, top each piece with a dollop of cool whip before serving. Dust with cocoa powder, optional.