Caramel Macchiato Mud Cake
Today is a good day because we’re serving up mud cake at my house! No I didn’t let the kids throw mud into a cake pan and decide to call it mud cake. ..we don’t even have kids, so that definitely didn’t happen.
But I’ll tell you what I did mix up and put into this pan – a whole lotta chocolate, butter, and coffee!!
I like to think that those ingredients are God’s 3 best gifts to any baker. Except if it was fall, pumpkin would be added to that list. There are other ingredients in this cake, but who gets excited over flour and eggs? Not me, at least not when there’s chocolate involved!
So what is a mud cake? It’s dense, it’s fudgy, it’s chocolately, it’s moist. A mud cake is usually frosted with melted chocolate and it’s just dreamy. Take my word for it.
I like other kinds of cake, but this mud cake.. it’s presence in the house was dangerous. Normally I share my cakes with neighbors and friends, but not this one. Is it bad to say it was too good to give away? I’ve already made plans to make it again and that says a lot because when you’re a food blogger you never get to make the same thing twice.
Our mud cake uses International Delight Caramel Macchiato Iced Coffee. It’s so good I don’t need to go to the drive thru at Starbuck’s anymore.
This conversation is sponsored by International Delight. The opinions and text are all mine.
Caramel Macchiato Mud Cake
For the cake
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 sticks butter, diced, 1 cup
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup International Delight Caramel Macchiato Iced Coffee
- 1 ½ tbsp instant coffee granules
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
For the frosting
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- Caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 325º F. Butter the bottom and sides of an 8 inch round cake pan or springform pan. Line the bottom with a parchment paper circle.
- In the medium pot over low heat, combine the chocolate, butter, sugar, International Delight Iced Coffee, and coffee granules. Stir occasionally until everything is melted and smooth. Remove the pot from the heat and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
- In the same pot, beat in the eggs.
- Next, sift in the flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powdered. Fold the mixture in gently. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 90 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then transfer the cake to a cooling rack to cool.
- To make the frosting, in a small saucepan over low heat combine the chocolate and heavy cream. Stir the mixture until it’s melted. Spread the frosting over the cake. Drizzle the cake with caramel sauce.
Mud cake always means a good day! I love that you used the International Delight iced coffee. That drizzle looks amazing too!
Gorgeous cake and made with my favorite coffee!! Shared. :)
Thanks for sharing Julie!
Wow that cake looks unbelievably awesome! Sharing!
Awww, thanks friend!
This looks so rich and tempting, I can’t blame you for wanting to keep it all to yourself!
Now this is MY kinda cake, chocolate and more oozing chocolate! YUP, wish I had that slice in front of me right now!
Stunning stunning photos! So obsessed. This would not last a day in my house :) And such a smart use of iced coffee.
This cake is a chocolate/coffee/cake lover’s dream come true! It looks amazing Beth!
I think I’ll just stop working today, and spend my time daydreaming about this cake instead. <3
My mind is always wondering to cake, hehe!
THIS.LOOKS.AMAZING!!!!! Like…whoa. And what is the background…I love that surface! Totally gorgeous post as always.
It’s a cookie sheet!! I got it from my mom, and she probably used it for forever!
I LOVE mud cake! Too right Beth, chocolate is the best baking ingredient. I love the caramel drizzle over the top – makes all my cake covered dreams come true!
:) my cake dreams came true too!
This cake looks amazing!!! I love all the caramel sauce drizzled all over the top! If only I could reach into my screen and grab a piece!
Thanks for pinning Mariah!
YES to everything — I will take a whole cake for myself, please!
food bloggers & cake! :)
That are so many good things going on here, I can’t pick a favorite!
Good thing you don’t have to pick just one!
This cake is calling my name. Just gorgeous Beth!! Love your photos and I am really loving the new site! Gorgeous. Pinned :)
Thank you Cyndi! You’re always so sweet!
That cake looks absolutely dreamy! Love all that caramel…
Thanks so much for the recipe! I can not have coffee, but I can try to make it for my family!