This is a fun twist on chocolate covered turtles! I had the privilege of sharing these turtle cookies over at Alderberry Hill earlier this week.
- 1 pouch of sugar cookie mix
- Plus the ingredients called for on the back of the cookie mix
- 12 caramels, I used Kraft
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 cup hot fudge topping
- Pecan halves, 1 for each cookie
- Parchment paper or silpat
- Preheat the oven as directed on the sugar cookie box.
- Prepare the sugar cookies as directed on the package. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, placing about 2 inches apart on parchment paper.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes or until they begin to turn golden. Allow them to cool completely.
- Unwrap the caramels, place them in a microwave safe bowl along with the milk and microwave on high for 1 minute, stir. Continue to microwave in 30 second intervals until the caramel is smooth.
- Dip one side of the cookie into the caramel, allowing the access to drip off before placing on wax paper. Reheat the caramel as needed.
- Allow the caramel to cool and set (but it will still be gooey) before adding the hot fudge. I actually added the hot fudge the following day when I made these.
- Heat the hot fudge in the microwave until melted. Using a teaspoon or 1/2 teaspoon depending upon how large your cookies are, add the hot fudge to the center of each cookie. Place a pecan half on each cookie before the hot fudge sets.
I found it best to store these in the refrigerator to prevent the caramel and hot fudge from becoming runny.
Adapted from Betty Crocker