Healthier Chocolate Banana Bread
Where are all the chocolate lovers?!
I’m talking about those of us who NEED chocolate everyday. And yes, I totally think this is an actual condition called “need-chocolate-itis”.
It’s really bad when I don’t have something chocolatey in the house because then I resort to weird things.. like eating a blueberry muffin drizzled with store bought chocolate sauce.
The craving is real.
While banana bread with chocolate chips can sometimes satisfy my craving, I really needed a chocolate loaf recipe in my life. And if it could be healthier, even better, because you know I’ll want to have a piece (or 3) everyday.
The biggest draw about this recipe is that it’s healthier because there’s no granulated sugar, oil or butter!
I will point out the obvious – this recipe calls for chocolate chips, which aren’t free from refined sugar. I’m okay with eating chocolate chips (this girl is a dessert blogger!). But you can choose to leave them out or use a healthier chocolate chip alternative like cocoa nibs, or just use less.
Remember, this loaf is healthier – I didn’t say it was the most healthy chocolate loaf on the planet ever and is zero calories.
But for a girl who uses a lot of butter, sugar and powdered sugar (think CAKE!) this healthier chocolate loaf is healthier when compared to some of the other things I make!
I probably added a few too many chocolate chips to this particular loaf for it to really be on the healthier side, but it was one of those weeks. But you can adjust the amount of chocolate chips according to your needs.
- 3 bananas, ripe
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (vanilla or plain)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 & 1/2 cups all purpose flour (or whole wheat)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a mixing bowl beat the bananas with an electric mixer until pureed.
- Add in the greek yogurt, honey, vanilla extract and egg, mixing by hand with a spatula.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda, mix until incorporated.
- Add the chocolate chips, mix.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the batter into the pan. Add additional chocolate chips to the top if desired.
- Bake for 47-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
If you slice the loaf into 10 pieces, each slice is estimated to be about 226 calories.