Want our top 10 essential dessert recipes?
Get our favorite classic recipes in your inbox! It’s 100% free, but we might make you hungry!
Garlic Herb Soft Pretzel Sticks
Garlic Herb Soft Pretzel Sticks – serve them in mini cups with cheese sauce!
I sent a picture of these pretzels to my family to prove to them that I don’t only make desserts. I thought everyone would swoon and say “that looks so good!” Instead, I got a lot of “Uhh, what is THAT?” and a “Interesting..”
Come on family! So in case you can’t tell what ‘THAT’ is.. they are garlic herb soft pretzel sticks dipped in cheese sauce. Now will you swoon?
I’ve been a little crazy about those mini glasses. Some people call them shot glasses, and I honestly thought they were just cute mini glasses, but then I did look at the box after a reader called them shot glasses and apparently the box calls them shot glasses too. But, I don’t drink any kind of beverage from them, so I’m going to stick with “cute mini glasses”.
A few weeks ago I served up spicy dijon french fries in these cute mini glasses and they were a huge hit. They would be a great addition to any party or your game day spread. And because everyone gets there own glass, there is no double dipping to worry about.. wheww! And all of the germaphobes are happy :)
Since game day food has been on my brain (did you miss football week?!), I thought it would be fun to make pretzel sticks that could be served in mini glasses with cheese sauce. It’s a winning number. Now I just have to decide which I would grab off the food table first, the spicy dijon french fries or the garlic herb pretel stick? Good thing I have two hands :)
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tsp active dry yeast, equal to one packet
- 2 & 1/2 to 2 & 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp powdered garlic
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 & 1/2 tps salt
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, whisked with 2 tbsp warm water
- Coarse sea salt or pretzel salt
- Serve with hot cheese sauce, like Velveeta
- For full instructions visit [url href=”http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-soft-pretzels-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-195974″ target=”_blank”]The Kitchn[/url]. They have a very detailed tutorial called “[url href=”http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-soft-pretzels-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-195974″ target=”_blank”]how to make soft pretzels[/url]” with bright, helpful pictures. I followed the steps in their recipe, however be sure to add the garlic powder and Italian seasoning when adding the flour, sugar, and salt to the mixing bowl. Instead of forming the dough into the classic pretzel shape, form the dough into ropes, 5 inches long, twisting the dough to add a twisted texture. The recipe yielded 9-10 soft pretzel sticks.
- Serve the garlic herb soft pretzel sticks in mini cups with hot cheese sauce.
They are garlicky, herb-y, and cheesy. I say they are pretty delicious :)