Crushed Oreo Peppermint Rice Krispies
Rice Krispie treats are so versatile and fun.
On the day I was suppose to make this recipe, I still needed to go to the store to get the peppermint marshmallows.
But we got about 7 inches of snow overnight. And Illinois doesn’t know how to plow (I am a little biased, having lived in Minnesota). So I walked to the grocery store about 4 blocks away and it took 50 minutes!
Eventually I made it to the store (with sloppy wet boots) and I was thrilled when I found these large peppermint marshmallows – they are like 2 inches wide!
They are also very delicious in hot chocolate :-)
- Half of a 24 oz bag of peppermint marshmallows (or if you can find a 10.5 oz bag of mini peppermint marshmallows, you can use the whole bag)
- 4 tbsp butter, plus extra to butter the pan
- 6 cups rice krispie cereal
For chocolate oreo drizzle
- 6 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- 8-10 crushed oreos
- Lightly butter the bottom and about 1 inch up on sides of a 9x13 inch pan.
- Melt the 4 tbsp of butter in a large pot over medium heat on the stove.
- Slowly add in the marshmallows and stir until all are incorporated and melted.
- Slowly add in the cereal, mixing before adding in more.
- Once everything is mixed, with buttered hands, press this mixture into the pan.
- Melt the chocolate chips and vegetable oil in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring, until melted.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the rice krispies and top with crushed oreos, slightly pressing the oreos into the chocolate.
- Let them sit until the chocolate is set. Cut and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Our Best Bites.