The temperature is holding steady at 85 degrees and there is no indication that the leaves will be changing color. It’s almost the end of September and I want fall!
I’m dreaming of wearing jeans and sweaters, kicking up the fallen leaves, and snuggling on the couch with a good fall dessert and a hot cup of tea.
But instead it’s HOT, the air conditioning is still on, my hair is in a top knot everyday, flip flops are scattered by the front door and I’m making a pumpkin dessert :)
I will be honest, I only feel like eating pumpkin flavored things the last few weeks in September through October. Once November hits, I’m kind of done with pumpkin and want chocolate and mint and christmas trees, gingerbread, but NEVER ever snow.
This chocolate pumpkin dessert lasagna is worth making at last once every fall season. Even if it’s August when all things pumpkin spice hit the stores or mid-November when pumpkin season is coming to an end – put it on your fall baking list!
A dessert lasagna is all about layers, very similar to a regular lasagna with noodles. This chocolate pumpkin lasagna has 4 layers…
Layer #1: Graham cracker crust – Did you know you can buy graham cracker crumbs at the grocery store? Call me slightly lazy, but I love being able to buy the crumbs instead of having to make them myself. So I can’t necessarily tell you how many whole graham crackers you’ll need to equal 2 & 1/2 cups of crumbs. I say buy the crumbs and save yourself the extra dishes ;)
The graham cracker crust is pre-baked for 10-12 minutes before adding the additional layers. This is to help ensure that the crust doesn’t fall apart when slicing the lasagna.
Layer #2: Chocolate cheesecake – An easy no bake rich chocolate cheesecake layer. Simple and easy and made with real melted chocolate.
Layer #3: Pumpkin filling – This one is good. It uses 2 boxes of pudding mix (I used french vanilla for extra good flavor), pureed pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. It creates a moist creamy layer.
Layer #4: Chocolate whipped cream – oh my gosh, where has chocolate whipped cream been allll my life?! This is the first time I made chocolate whipped cream and it’s a game changer. 3 only ingredients needed – heavy cream, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder.
I forgot about the chocolate shavings… do those count as a layer?!! This is my favorite way to make chocolate shavings – heat chocolate bar in the microwave until it’s softer but not melty then use a vegetable peeler to make shavings. Ta da. Talk about a good life hack!
For a step-by-step of how to make this chocolate pumpkin dessert lasagna recipe, watch this short video:
- 2 & 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 & 1/2 sticks butter, melted
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 & 1/2 cups milk
- 2 packages french vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Chocolate bar to make chocolate shavings
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. In a mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar and melted butter until the mixture is wet and will stick together when pressed. Spread the crust into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Use your hands or a heavy bottom flat cup to firmly press the crumbs into the pan. Bake the crust for 10-12 minutes. Allow the pan to cool completely before moving forward. You can place the pan in the fridge to help speed up the process. You could also bake the crust a day in advance.
- In a small pot over medium-low heat on the stove, combine the chocolate chips and vegetable oil. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is completely melted. Remove from the heat. In a mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Add in the melted chocolate, heavy cream and powdered sugar, beat until smooth and combined. Spread the cheesecake layer over the cooled graham cracker crust. Place the pan in the fridge while you prepare the pumpkin filling.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the milk and 2 packages of french vanilla pudding mix until combined. Once the pudding is thick, beat in the pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice. Spread the pumpkin filling over the cheesecake layer. Place the pan in the fridge while you prepare the chocolate whipped cream.
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- Place a metal mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 10 minutes. Remove the bowl from the freezer, add the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder and beat for 3-5 minutes, or until stiff peaks form. Spread the chocolate whipped cream over the pumpkin filling. Place the pan in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving. Top with chocolate shavings if desired before serving. Use a sharp knife to cut the dessert into slices, be sure to cut all the way through the graham cracker crust.
This is my favorite way to make chocolate shavings - heat chocolate bar in the microwave until it’s softer but not melty then use a vegetable peeler to make shavings. Ta da. Talk about a good life hack!