Bailey’s Dark Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
Bailey’s Dark Chocolate Molten Lava Cake, it’s a chocolate lovers paradise!
One of the best parts about this recipe – it’s made with Ghirardelli chocolate. I really wanted to call this recipe “Amazing Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Molten Lava Cake with a Bailey’s Irish Cream Center”.
That title is a mouthful, but if you pulled one of these out of your oven, you’d want it in your mouth!
You don’t even need any fancy equipment to make this delicious recipe. The lava cakes can be made in a regular muffin pan. After you bake them, just turn them upside down and let the bailey’s chocolate just melt out.
- 4 oz Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Baking Bar or Chips (equals 1/2 cup)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 oz Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Baking Bar or Chips (equals 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 oz Bailey’s Irish Cream Liquor (equals 1/4 cup)
- Melted Dark Chocolate Drizzle from left over Ghiridella chips
To make the centers
- In a double boiler or microwave safe bowl, melt the 2 oz of chocolate with the heavy cream and bailey’s.
- Pour this mixture into a container and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- After refrigeration, use your hands, a scoop or small melon baller to form the chocolate into 6 balls. Refrigerate until needed.
To make the cake
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a regular sized 6 slot muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a double boiler or microwave safe bowl, melt the 4 oz of chocolate with the butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, egg yolks, and sugar on high speed for about 5 minutes.
- Fold in the melted chocolate mixture, combine.
- Gently stir in the flour until combined.
- Fill the muffins slots about 1/3 full with batter then place 1 chocolate ball into each slot.
- Fill the slots with more batter until they are 3/4 to almost full.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cake is firm.
- Remove pan from the oven and let it sit for 8-12 minutes.
- If needed, use a knife to gently remove the lava cakes from the pan and place upside down on a plate.
- Reheat if necessary in the microwave before serving.
- Top with melted dark chocolate drizzle if you desire.
This recipe should make about 6 regular sized muffin lava cakes. We ended up having leftover chocolate balls and batter (we tripled the recipe to share with friends) so we decided to make an extra large lava cake in a large ramekin with an extra ooey gooey bailey’s chocolate center. It was so delicious and needed a large glass of milk.