Tex Mex Frito Salad
Let’s talk salad – aka summer’s best friend (besides popsicles!).
I love digging into a big salad packed with veggies from the farmer’s market and loaded with beans or chicken.
If you’re like me, then you’ll enjoy this Tex Mex Frito Salad, YEEE-HAW!
This salad is fairly easy to prep – if you know how to use a knife, you can make this salad, but watch the fingers, you don’t want to mistake it for a carrot!
I know I’m more likely to eat salad if it’s already prepped and ready to go in the fridge, so I like to get all my prepping done at one time.
This recipe makes a big batch so plan to have leftovers or bring it to your next summer dinner party.
But my favorite thing about this salad, besides eating it, is that it’s a “empty the vegetable drawer” recipe – meaning if you have vegetables that need to be used, put them in the salad!
There’s lots of wiggle room to add more vegetables, so we’ll give you a recipe to start with.
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 to 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- A big bunch of your desired leafy greens (ex. lettuce, spinach, kale, arugula, or a combination) washed, dried, and chopped
- 1-2 peppers, diced
- 1-2 tomatoes, diced
- 7-8 green onion stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bunch of cilantro, washed and chopped
- 1 bag of Fritos, slightly crushed
- Cheese or Mexican cheese, to top
- Catalina Dressing (Kraft brand)
- Additional vegetables we’ve thrown in: carrots, olives, celery, zucchini.
- Prep and chop all vegetables and leafy greens. Mix in a large bowl.
- Drain and rinse the pinto beans. In a small bowl, combine the beans, cumin, garlic powder and pepper, mix. Set aside.
- Slightly crush the Fritos.
- When ready to eat, combine your desired amount of vegetables/leafy greens with several scoops of pinto beans, topped with Fritos, cheese and Catalina dressing.
- Do not mix the beans, Fritos, and cheese into the salad if you will be storing it in the refrigerator for some time. Add those items right before serving.
I like to use a tupperware container with the lid on to mix it all together.