Thin Mints

thin-mints-1
These thin mints are amazing, go ahead and buy the ingredients because you’re going to want to make them!

Wowza! These are seriously so good. Maybe it’s because I haven’t had a girl scout cookie in 6 years, but when I was in girl scouts my favorite were the trefoils. I hear that some regions are starting to sell gluten free cookies.. $5 for like 12 cookies. Hmm, I’ll probably still make them at home.

IMG_8704-768x1024
Cookie Ingredients
6 tbsp butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
4 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 3/4 cup flour (plus more for rolling)
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, vanilla, peppermint, and cocoa powder. Add the flour (I used Cooqi Gluten Free) and salt and mix everything into a dough. I had to add an additional 2-3 tbsp of water because my dough was way too crumbly.

Instead of using a cookie cutter to cut each into a circle (we’re all busy and they’re just going to end up in my stomach!) I rolled all of the dough onto a large cookie sheet using some additional flour. Once I got the dough to my desired thickness, I took a pizza cutter and cut the dough into squares.. woohoo what a time saver!

IMG_8672 IMG_8673

Bake for about 16 minutes, remember you want cookies with a crisp to them. Let them cool completely before dipping in chocolate.

Chocolate Coating Ingredients
10 oz dark, milk, or semisweet chocolate
1/3 cup butter
1/2 tsp peppermint

In a microwave safe bowl, combine half the chocolate and half the butter. Melt, stirring every 30 seconds until it is smooth. If it’s too thick for dipping, add more butter and microwave for a few seconds. Add the peppermint and stir. Dip each cookie into the chocolate and turn with a fork to coat. Transfer to wax paper or the original cookie sheet to allow the chocolate to set. Reheat the chocolate as needed.

These are super great when stored in the freezer!

Thin Mints - The First Year Blog #HomemadeThinMints
Come back for more, soon I’ll be making homemade gluten free samoas!

name tag 2 11_18

Comments

1. says

Mmm!! Delicious recipe! Pinned ;) Thanks for sharing!!

I just realized that I’ve visited your blog quite a bit and pinned pretty much each time I’ve been here (lol) …yet somehow I hadn’t subscribed yet?! So, I fixed that this morning!! Looking forward to not missing a thing now ;)

Have a lovely week! :-)

2. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen says

Trefoils are my favorite too! I think thin mints top everyone’s list I’m sure. These look great! I make a martini that tastes just like the cookie. I need to make these to serve along side of them! Thanks for sharing at Show Me Your Plaid Monday’s!

3. Diana Rambles says

YUM! I am just lazy enough to walk to my garage and get a box of real thin mints! LOL! I’m pinning this for future reference when GS cookies are all gone!

4. says

You deliver, don’t you?! Ha. Seriously though, these sound amazing! I love GS cookies but hate paying so much for them – and I love the idea of having a homemade version ;) Pinning and sharing on my FB page!

5. says

found you through the link up over at MercyINK! SO GLAD I DID TOO!!! you totally had my attention with gluten-free thin mints! cute blog. great recipe. keep up the good work!!! excited to try this :-) XO

6. says

These look amazing! Way better than over priced Girl Scout cookies! Don’t get me wrong, I love buying them, but I prefer home baked goodies any day! Thank you so much for sharing these at Saturday Share With Us!

7. says

Beth…Hi again. This recipe looks amazing! My family loves mint girl scout cookies. Please consider linking this up at my first ever link party this weekend at The Patriotic Pam. Thanks so much! Have a great weekend.
    Pam

8. Bailey says

Hi there,

Thanks for posting! I found your site through The Better Half. Very good! I love them and they taste just like the real thing (better, even!) I used King Arthur GF flour. My wife (Celiac) loves them too. Thanks, Bailey

Trackbacks